Alterations and Additions to Old Courthouse
Alterations and additions: Maintenance and repair records are
constant. The following is a
listing of major work undertaken only.
- 1881 - the main courtroom (1st floor) was ceiled instead of the plaster being
- 1882 - a new roof was applied.
- 1888 - the 2nd floor courtroom was fixed up. The bar from the 1st floor
courtroom was moved upstairs and a room for the circuit clerk was provided by the erection
of partitions in the 2nd floor courtroom.
- 1889 - a clerk's office was constructed by erecting partitions in the 1st floor
- 1892 - the north and east masonry walls were rebuilt and rods were applied
through the building (J.B. STEVENS, architect). Also, two rooms were constructed in the
1st floor courtroom since. These were built as jury and witness rooms.
- 1895 - partition between clerk's room and courtroom on the 2nd floor was
- 1902-04 - a sustained period of remodeling. The original 6/6 and 12/12 window
sashes were replaced by the present 2/2. The 3rd floor or attic "Long Room" was
fitted up, cupola base, altered or rebuilt, gable dormers added, northern porticos added,
new furnishings including new desks, mantles, and chairs added, new courtroom benches, new
iron fence, stairs, rebuilt, present witness and grand jury room fitted up, the exterior
brick painted, and repairs were made.
- 1936-370 - a 2 story rear addition was constructed. Herbert R. GRAF, architect
of Knoxville (and son of architect Richard F. GRAF of Morgan County who had been
associated with the original draftsman, F.B. GUENTHER) was the designer, and Joe MURPHY of
Kingston supervised construction.
Prepared by: Joseph L. Herndon, Team Historian, Historic American Building