About The Old Courthouse
The Old Roane County Court House was built during the 1854 - 1855 time period by architect Augustus Fisher and designer Fredrick B. Guenther, using native lumber and bricks made on the site by slaves. It is of combined Greek Revivalist and Federalist style. No nails were used in the original structure. The old courthouse is one of six antebellum courthouses remaining in Tennessee. The building was the active courthouse of Roane County until 1974 when the new courthouse was completed and the old courthouse was deeded to the Roane County Heritage Commission.
The building was used in the civil war by both confederates and union as a hospital. Graffiti can be found on the walls written by soldiers who were hospitalized here.
BUILDERS AND SUPPLIERS TO THE OLD COURTHOUSE
THE ORIGINAL COURTHOUSE SPECS
LETTER ABOUT THE COURTHOUSE
REFERENCES TO ROANE COUNTY COURTHOUSE, JAIL AND/OR PUBLIC SQUARE -ROANE COUNTY MINUTE BOOK Q - 1849-1856
One false story told about the building are hangings taking place in the cupola of the building. This is totally "FALSE". By law a hanging had to made pubic so gallows were built in the yard. The gallows in the building are purely decoration
The courthouse has had many renovations through the years, but for some time the building has been undergoing a major face lift overseen by Frank Sparkman & Associates of Knoxville.
The building contains a large collection of original court papers dating back to 1802 and it houses The Roane County Archives Library.
Survival of the old courthouse and the RCHC depends on our membership and donations from you. COME JOIN US For more info on giving call (865)376-9211 or write us at:
The Roane County Heritage Commission
119 Court Street
P.O. Box 738
Kingston Tennessee, 37763