Goodspeed’s Biographies of Roane County – 1886 Page 3 of 3.

PAGE 1 OF 3       PAGE 2 OF 3       PAGE 3 OF 3


  • NOTE: THE FOLLOWING BIOGRAPHIES ARE FROM OTHER EAST TENNESSEE COUNTIES BUT, MAKE REFERENCE TO ROANE COUNTY PEOPLE.

ANDERSON COUNTY

W.B.H. WILEY, coal operator, at Oliver Springs, was born in Roane County, Tenn.,
January 25, 1843. He is the son of Henry H. WILEY and Mary B.B. BOYD, who were
married January 2, 1822. The father was born in North Carolina, October 9, 1779. He was
the son of Alexander WILEY and Martha NOEL; this father was a farmer, in Tennessee,
for several years, and later went to merchandising in Kingston, Roane County, still later he
was elected county court clerk of Roane County; still later he became one of the wealthiest
men of his county, and all his wealth was gainted through perseverance and skillful
management. The mother of our subject was born in Virginia, March 31, 1804, and died
January 3, 1877. Unto her were born six sons and four daughters. Our subject was reared
on the farm, and received a common-school education, in the country schools. His work,
prior to the civil war, was farming. At the outbreak of the war, he enlisted in Company F,
Fifth Tennessee Infantry. At the close of the war, he returned to Kingston, and farmed in
Roane County, for two years, and then went to operating in coal, first at Coal Creek, then
at Oliver Springs, where he is now operating. He and his brother, H.H. WILEY, constitute
the Mount Carbon Coal and Coke Company, of Oliver Springs. In 1869 (October 29) he
married Miss Jennie McFARLEN, of Nashville. One son and eight daughters have been
born to this marriage. Three of these children are dead; those living are Thomas E., Z.A.,
Mary E., Katy, Luttie and Irene. Mr. WILEY commenced business without money, and
has gained considerable wealth, by his energy and enterprise. He is a self-made man, a
member of the Presbyterian Church, an Odd Fellow, and a Republican. 

LOUDON COUNTY 

The BLAIR Family, has, since the very earliest settlement of East Tennessee, been
prominent in its history, and still has many representatives in Loudon and the surrounding
counties. These are all descendants of John BLAIR, a soldier at King’s Mountain, and a
pioneer from South Carolina to Washington County, Tenn., where he died in 1819. His
family of six sons and four daughters–Hugh, John, James, William, Thomas, Samuel, Jane,
Mary, Martha and Rachel–came from Washington County to the present site of Loudon
about 1790, and soon after, what was long known as Blair’s Ferry was established. Hugh,
the eldest of this family, was a cripple, who never married, and always made his home with
his brother James. But little is known of the four daughters and of the second and sixth
named sons. James was born in 1777, and married Jane CARMICHAEL, a member of
another pioneer East Tennessee family. They remained in the vicinity of BLAIR’S Ferry,
where they accumulated considerable property and many slaves. They raised five sons
and two daughters, and had two infant daughters, deceased. William, the fourth mentioned
above, married Sarah SIMMONS, who died in 1849, six years after his own death. Four
sons and six daughters were reared by them. The fifth named above Thomas, remained in
Blair’s Ferry a short time, and went to Indiana. John, the eldest of James BLAIR’S family,
was born July 19, 1800, and married Elizabeth JOHNSTON in 1827. He then located on
the farm now owned by his son, Dr. J.L. BLAIR. He was an officer in the State militia, and
was for many years a justice of the peace. His death occurred January 18, 1858, his wife
having preceeded him November 14, 1845. Dr. J.L. BLAIR is the eldest of five sons and
five daughters, and of three survivors of these, himself, Dr. Hugh A., of Wilson County,
and Martha a., now Mrs. George W. ST. JOHN, of Washington County. Dr. J.L. was born
in 1828, and in 1853 married Margaret L. BARKLEY, a native of Jonesboro. Of their two
sons and three daughters, two of the latter are deceased, as is the mother also, who died
January 5, 1871. In 1872 the Doctor married Mrs. Lucy A. OSBORN (nee GEORGE), a
native of Blount County, to whom two sons and four daughters have been born. The
Doctor was educated chiefly at Hiwassee College, and in 1852 attended the Union Medical
College, of New York, since which time he has practiced in this locality. Returning now to
the James BLAIR family, we will mention Wiley, who was bron in Loudon in 1813, and
married Mary M. JOHNSTON, rearing a family of three sons and two daughters, one of
whom, Rachel E.C., is now deceased. the other daughter, Laura J., is the wife of William
R. BLAIR, of this county. James M., W.W., and H.E.F. are the sons, the first of whom,
James M., was born in 1844, since which time he has lived in this vicinity. W.W. was born
in 1851 and married Frankie M. BROWDER; they have three daughters. H.E.F. was born
in 1854 and married Martha K. ELDRIDGE. They have two sons and six daughters; the
first of these, John, was born in Loudon (then Roane) County, in 1808, and married Mary
C. EDWARDS, a native of Virginia, to whom one son, William R. (a prominent farmer of
Loudon County) and one daughter, Sarah J. (now the wife of John HALL, of Loudon
County,) were born. John BLAIR and wife died in 1875 and 1880, respectively. Of the
other children of William BLAIR, Vincent and Hugh reside in Texas, and Elizabeth, now a
widow of Andrew ALLEN, resides in Loudon County. The rest are deceased. 

Dr. R.P. EATON, a prominent farmer and successful practitioner, was born in 1835, in
Jefferson County, where he was reared and educated. About 1856 he began the study of
medicine, moving in 1858 within the present limits of Loudon County, and in 1865 to his
present home, where he has enjoyed a lucrative practice. He began, a poor man, with $4
and little property, but has, by care and application, acquired his present home of 600 fine
acres. He represented Knox and Roane Counties in the State Senate, in 1867-68, and at
present is one of the board of trustees of the State University. November 13, 1859, he
married his present wife. They have had two sons and five daughters. The EATON family
is of Scotch-Irish origin, and came to this State from Pennsylvania. The paternal
grandfather, Robert D., was a captain, under Jackson, in the war of 1812. He and his wife
died in Anderson County. Andrew C., the father, was born in Grainger County, in 1804,
and married Susan M. DONALDSON, of Jefferson County. Their decease occurred in
1878 and 1880 respectively. Our subject and Ellen C., now Mrs. BOYD (a widow) of this
county, are their only children. 

J.P. FREEMAN, a farmer in the Eleventh District, was born in March, 1844, in Roane
County, in addition to Loudon County. He is the youngest of six children of James and
Achsa (PONDER) FREEMAN. The father was born and raised in Roane County. He
commanded Company D, Fourth Tennessee Infantry, in the Mexican war. He was a son of
John and Susan (DAVIS) FREEMAN. Mr. and Mrs. John FREEMAN were born and
raised in Virginia, and Mrs. FREEMAN came with her parents to Tennessee in 1812, and
Mr. FREEMAN came to Tennessee some time before that. He served Roane County for
many years as County Judge. James FREEMAN died shortly after he came out of the
Mexican War, from a disease contracted while he was in the service. Mrs. FREEMAN is
making her home with her son, J.P. FREEMAN. J.P. FREEMAN received his education
in the common schools of Roane County. When seventeen years old he enlisted in
Company I, First Tennessee Infantry of the Federal Army, and served until the fall of
1864. He was sergeant of his company. He was offered the captaincy of his company, and
also fo a cavalry company, but on account of ill health would not accept. He was thrown
upon his own resources when seventeen years old, a poor man, and what he is now worth,
was accumulated by his own industry and good management. He now owns 370 acres of
land on the Tennessee River, two and one-half miles north of Loudon. He was married in
1868 to Alice E. MALLOY. By this union one child was born–Alice, now Mrs.
KOLLOCK. Mrs. FREEMAN died in 1869. He was married to 1872 to Mrs.
LITTLETON, nee Miss HARVEY. By this union seven children have been born: James
H., Emerson J., Joseph W., Achsa, Robert S., Frances and Hester. Mr. and Mrs.
FREEMAN are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Mr. FREEMAN is assistant
clerk. He is Indexpendent in politics and cast his first presidential vote for Samuel J.
TILDEN. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. 

G.W. HARDIN, a farmer, was born in 1833, in Knox County, where he continued to live
until the fall of 1858. He then traveled through several through several of the Western
States, and located near Springfield, Mo. He returned to Knox County, in March, 1860,
and, in 1862, enlisted in Company F, Twenty-sixth Tennessee Infantry (Confederate), and
served until he surrendered with Johnston’s army. He had an arm shot off at Atlanta, and,
with the exception of the time he lay in the hospital because of his wounds, engaged in all
the actions in which his company took part. Farming has been his occupation. July 30,
1861, he married Julia C. WINTON, a daughter of John W. and Eliza (BROWDER)
WINTON, natives of what is now Loudon County. Their children were Oscar J. and Lula
B. (deceased). Mrs. HARDIN is a Methodist of the Southern Branch. Our subject is a
Democrat and first voted for Buchanan. He is the third of eight children, of Joseph and A.
(CALLOWAY) HARDIN, the former spending his whole life in Knox County, and the
latter a native of Ashe County, N.C., and from her sixteenth year a resident of Knox
County. The father was a colonel of militia. Our subject now owns a fine farm of 700
acres, well cultivated and located on the Union railroad, four miles east of Loudon. 

C.M. HOTCHKISS was born in 1802, in what is now Loudon County. He is the third of six
children of Jared and Betsey (KNIGHT) HOTCHKISS. Jared HOTCHKISS was born and
raised in New Haven, Connecticut, and immigrated to Tennessee about 1801. He was a
tailor by trade, and during the Revolutionary war assisted in making clothing for soldiers. 
He was widely known, and a highly respected citizen. He kept a tavern for many years on
the Knoxville & Kingston Road. Mr. and Mrs. Jared HOTCKISS were of English
descent. Mrs. HOTCHKISS was born and raised in New Glasglow, Va., where she
married. After his father’s death, in 1838, C.M. HOTCKISS began business for himself,
and supported his mother until her death, in 1842. C.M. HOTCHKISS was married in
1838 to Sallie Ann WYLEY, a daughter Harris and Artemus (TAYLOR) WYLY. Mr. and
Mrs. WYLY were born and raised in Virginia, and at a very early age moved to Alabama,
where Mrs. HOTCHKISS was born in 1811. Mr. WYLY moved his family to Blount
County, in 1829. He followed merchandising from the time he became twenty years old
until his death in 1841. He served his district as justice of the peace for many years, giving
entire satisfaction. Mr. WYLEY was of Irish and Mrs. WYLY of English descent. To Mr.
and Mrs. HOTCHKISS six children have been born: Louisa, now Mrs. LAUDERDALE;
Isabella, who first married John ANDERSON, and after his death she married John HILL;
Sallie, now Mrs. JOHNSON; Betsey, deceased; Artemus, deceased; Claiborne, deceased. 
Mr. and Mrs. HOTCHKISS are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Mr.
HOTCHKISS has been a deacon in the church since 1832. He is a Democrat in politics
and cast his first presidental ticket for a Democratic candidate in 1824. He is a very
enthusiatic Christian worker, and a very successful Christian worker, and a very successful
farm manager. 

Categories: Uncategorized