Oak Grove Cumberland Presbyterian Church (1853)
Located about four miles north west of Lenoir City, just off of Hotchkiss
Valley Road in
Loudon County (but was a part of Roane County until 1870).
Was organized 1 Apr 1853.
The Marietta Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Knox County session minutes of
1853 mentions the following:
"Whereas a number of the members of this congregation have been by
petition organized by
Presbytery (Hiwassee) into a separate congregation known by the name of Oak Grove
resolved therefore that the names of all those members be marked on our church book as
removed by petition."
The names removed were:
Samuel ALEXANDER, ruling elder
James LACKEY, ruling elder
Sarah N. BRAZEAL
Jane B. ALEXANDER
Louisa E. ALEXANDER
Jane A. ALEXANDER
Ezra A. LILES
James C. SPENCE
Sarah E. OSBORN
Emily H. ALEXANDER
Sarah R. McCLURE
Mary E. McCLURE
Rozanah E. McCLURE
Samuel L. ALEXANDER
William Lawson ALEXANDER was elected and ordained a ruling elder of Oak Grove
The land was donated by Robert BOX and William BRITTAIN on 1 Sep 1851 "to
Hiwassee Presbytery of Cumberland Presbytery Church."
The first session book is missing.
Reference: Loudon County Centennial Edition, The Loudon County Herald, June