Goodspeed's Biographies of Roane County - 1886
Page 1 of 3.

Research Room

PAGE 1 OF 3       PAGE 2 OF 3       PAGE 3 OF 3


Col. D.G. BOWERS, a farmer in the Sixth District, was born in 1826 in Orange County,
N.C., and when a child was brought by his parents to Roane County where he has since
resided. He began life for himself when of age, and engaged in farming which he has since
followed. He enlisted in 1862 in Company A, Fifth Tennessee Infantry, and was elected a
captain of his company upon its organization, in which capacity he served about two years,
when he was commissioned colonel of his regiment on account of his ability and efficiency
as an officer. He was mustered out of service April 20, 1865. He was married in 1848 to
Miss Eliza BOWMAN, a daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (MORGAN) BOWMAN. Mr.
and Mrs. BOWMAN were born and raised in Virginia, and came to Tennessee at a very
early day. Mr. BOWMAN was a son of John BOWMAN, a Revolutionary soldier. To
Mr. and Mrs. BOWERS eight children have been born: Mary E., (now Mrs. EVANS),
Sarah E. (deceased), John W., Rufus S., James J., Thomas L., Samuel B., and David
(deceased). Mrs. BOWERS is a member of the Baptist Church; Mr. BOWERS is
Republican in politics, and cast his first presidential vote for Gen. TAYLOR. He is the
fifth of six children of Benjamin and Mary (CLOUD) BOWERS. Mr. and Mrs. BOWERS
were natives of North Carolina and immigrated to Roane County, Tenn., about 1827, where
they died. The father was a son of Green BOWERS, who also was a native of North
Carolina, and came to Roane County about 1824, and about 1854 moved to Missouri where
he died. He was sheriff of Orange County, N.C. for seven years. Mr. BOWERS was of
English descent.

Thomas B. BYRD, an extensive farmer, now residing on a part of the old homestead, in the
Seventeenth District, owns, also two other farms in the county, one of 230 acres, and the
other of 130 acres. His grandfather, Jesse BYRD, located on the site of Kingston about
1795, the first ferryman at what was BYRD'S Ferry, now SEVIER'S Ferry. In 1808 he
abandoned the ferry, and located five miles above Kingston, south of the Tennessee. He
was one of the first justices after Roane County was organized, and constructed some of
the first houses erected in Kingston, some still standing. He died in 1847, and his wife a
few years before, both at advanced ages. Joseph BYRD, the father, was the eldest of two
sons and four daughters. In youth he served in the Indian war under Gen. JACKSON, and
at his majority married Ann PRIDE. He was a farm who occasionally boated from
Kingston to Huntsville, Ala, and was considerably interest in the slave trade. He served
eight years as sheriff of Roane County, and was also many years a justice. At the removal
of the Cherokees, in 1836, he formed a company, and was afterward colonel of the
regiment. He died in 1858, and his widow in 1885. He had nine sons and three daughters.
Our subject, three brothers and two sisters, are living. Five brothers were in the Union
service, one as colonel and one as quartermaster. There were also two in Confederate
service, one as colonel. Our subject was born in 1825, and has always lived in Roane
County. To his wife, Savanna E. (MARGRAVE), have been born three sons and five
daughters, one of each sex being deceased. The family are Methodists, and he is Chaplain
of the F. & A.M. lodge.

L.W. CARTER, farmer, was born in 1849, in Washington County, Tenn., and was
twenty-four moved to Roane County, where he has since lived. He has acquired his
education since maturity by reading and study, and began for himself when of age, as a day
laborer. In 1876 he married Mary, a daughter of Alexander and Amanda (HEMBREE)
SUDDATH. Their children are Cora L., Maggie A., Edgar, Maud, and an infant
(deceased). She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Mr. CARTER is
a Republican and first voted for GRANT. He is a Mason. After his marriage he
purchased a farm, and he now owns a fine farm of 175 acres in Blue Spring Valley,the most
of which property is the result of his own efforts at adding to some property he received
from his wife. He has had several positions of trust, such as the administration of estates,
school commissioner, etc. He is the second of ten children of Abraham and Catherine
(CLOUSE) CARTER, the former of whom was born in North Carolina, and came with his
parents to Greene County in his youth. It was in Washington County where the father
married. He was a justice, and a worthy and able Baptist minister. In the Third North
Carolina Infantry, under Col. KIRK, he was an orderly sergeant. The mother was a
daughter of William and Lizzie (LAUDERMILK) CLOUSE, the former of whom was a
soldier in the war of 1812, under Gen. JACKSON, and one of the earliest pioneers in
Washington County.

J.F. CORMANY, circuit court clerk, was born in Virginia in 1857, and as an infant was
brought to Roane County, where he was reared on a farm. When seventeen he became a
clerk with S.J. D'ARMOND for five years. Then after a year as clerk for Childers &
Martin he began merchandising at Pickle's Landing, in the firm Pickle & Cormany,
afterward succeeded by D'Armond & Company, our subject being a member of the
company. In May, 1882, our subject entered the race for the office he now fills, being
re-elected in August, 1886, without opposition. In 1879 he married Huldah E. HARMON,
a native of this county. She died in August 1883, leaving one daughter, Oma. He then
married Alice COX, of Lenoir's Station. Their only child is Maud. Both are church
members, and he is a member of the F. & A.M. fraternity. His parents, Aaron and Eliza
(BLANSETT) are engaged in farming, and also custom milling in this county. They lived in
Virginia, their native State, before coming here in 1858. Our subject is the eldest of eight
surviving children, four others being deceased.

Maj. H. CRUMBLISS, a prominent and influential citizen of Kingston, Tenn., was born in
Roane County, said State, on the 21st of November, 1834, and raised on the farm of his
parents; he is next to the youngest of a family of eight children, five of whom are
deceased. His father, James CRUMBLISS, was a native of Ireland, immigrated to this
county while quite young, and married Anna GODDARD, with whom he lived until
November, 1839, when he died, leaving H. CRUMBLISS less than five years old, who was
raised by, and remained with, his mother till her death, which occurred in 1858, after which
he went to the West, where he spent three years in Missouri and Texas. In March, 1861,
he returned to the home of his childhood, and in August, same year, in company with others
of his native county, he crossed the Cumberland Mountains to Camp Dick Robinson, Ky.,
where he enlisted as a private soldier in Company E, First Regiment Infantry Volunteers,
commanded by Col. R.H. BYRD; he was appointed orderly sergeant of said company, and
on the 15th of March was promoted to adjutant of the regiment, which position he held to
the end of the war. He was one of the 1,500 that made the famous Sanders raid to
Knoxville, Tenn., in the month of June, 1863, and acted as adjutant-general to Gen.
SANDERS while on that raid, and the last time his regiment ever marched into battleline it
marched under the command of H. CRUMBLISS (the other field officers being absent).
On the 29th of November, 1864, he was mustered out, and honorably discharged from the
service of the United States by the secretary of war. At the close of the war he returned to
Kingston, where he still remains. Since the war he has served his county two years as
sheriff. On the 3d of April, 1867, he as married to Nellie GRIFFIN, of Somerset, Ky., and
of six sons and two daughters born to them, one son is deceased. He has a beautiful home
in Kingston, a valuable arm on the Tennessee River and some iron ore land, which
engrosses the most of his attention, and at present he is Worshipful Master of Union
Lodge No. 38, F. & A.M., Kingston, Tenn.

S.J. D'ARMOND, a prominent merchant, one of Kingston's oldest citizens, was born in
1816, in Louisiana, and came to Roane County in 1837. He began farming the next year,
and was so engaged until 1853, when, in December, he came to Kingston and embarked in
the mercantile trade, which he has since continued. In November, 1835, he married G.B.
D'ARMOND, by whom he had one son and three daughters: Thomas H., of Louisiana, and
Matilda J. (now Mrs. CHRISTIAN), living in Johnson City, Tenn., and two daughters
deceased. His wife died in 1852, and he afterward married Margaret A. YOST, a native of
Virginia, but reared in Kingston. They have two sons and a daughter: James G., M.E. and
S.J., all of Kingston. The family are members of the Presbyterian Church. The
D'ARMOND family is of French origin, and the grandfather and one or two cousins were
pioneers of Knox County, which they left about 1790 or 1795, and after a few years in
Mississippi, moved to Louisiana, where they died. Thomas F., the father, who was born in
Mississippi in 1795, went to Louisiana with his parents, and there his death occurred. He
lived in Roane County a year, about twelve months after our subject located here. Julia A.
(WHITE), the mother, was living in Louisiana at the time of their marriage. Of two sons
and two daughters reared in the family, our subject and his brother, in Louisiana, are the
only survivors.

W.M. ELLIS, an old and prominent farmer of Roane County, was born at the mouth of
Pond Creek, in that part now in Loudon County, May 4, 1818. His father, Francis ELLIS,
was born in South Carolina, where he married Sarah BREEDLOVE, and, about 1815,
located where our subject was born, and the next year after the latter's birth, he purchased
and moved upon the farm where our subject lives, but living on the opposite side of the
river. He was a most successful farmer. Stoves, however, were a rare commodity in his
household. He died October 24, 1839, and his wife, surviving him many ears, died at the
age of one hundred. Our subject is the third son and fifth child, and remained at home until
his marriage, except two years during the removal of the Cherokee Indians. March 26,
1839, he married Lucy BOWLIN, a native of Roane County. After his father's death our
subject purchased the portion of the estate lying south of the Tennessee River, containing
400 acres, and has made this his residence ever since. Three sons of ten sons and three
daughters are deceased. The two eldest sons, William and John, enlisted in the Second
Confederate Tennessee Cavalry, the former being killed in February, 1862, the other
serving until the close. The family are members of the Methodist Church.

S.E. FRANKLIN, editor of the Roane County Republican, was born in Chillicothe, Ohio, in
1853, was reared and educated there, and in youth learned surveying and engineering. He
was employed as surveyor on several railroads in the North, and at Nashville and
Knoxville, Tenn., under Major CRAWFORD, until the summer of 1886, when he
succeeded the Roane County Publishing Company in editing his paper. William B.
FRANKLIN, the father, was a native of Georgetown, D.C., and spent the most of his life in
Virginia. He moved from Georgetown to Ohio, in 1832, and there married a Miss SCOTT,
by whom seven children were reared to maturity. The mother of these children died about
1838 or 1840, and he then married Elizabeth Lee BELL, a descendant of Robert LEE. By
this marriage our subject, two brothers and two sisters were reared, four of them still
living. The deceased brother, James T., was an episcopal minister, died at Erie, Penn., in
1881. He had been pastor there a year or two before his death. The death of subject's
father occurred in 1879. One brother of our subject was an aide on Gen. THOMAS' staff
at the battle of Murfreesboro or Stone River.

J.D. HEMBREE, a farmer, was born June 16, 1840, in Roane County,where he now
resides. He received a good academical education. In 1861 he enlisted in the Confederate
Army, Company I, Twenty-sixth Tennessee Infantry; in 1862 was transferred to the
Sixteenth Battalion of Cavalry. In 1868 he commenced farming. April 23, 1868, he
married D.C. STAPLES, and has five children by her: John B., Elmira C., Mary C., Anna
D. and Robert L. Mrs. HEMBREE died July 5, 1871, and November 18, 1872, our subject
married Mary J. DAIL, whose children are Dixie J. and Joel D. The mother died June 14,
1883, and April 23, 1886, Mr. HEMBREE married Lucy E. DAIL. Himself and wife were
members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, he being a strict member and steward
of the same church, and trustee of three different churches. He owns 800 acres of land,
350 of which are in a high state of cultivation, mostly all in grass. He has always been a
Democrat; he is a Prohibitionist. His father, Col. Joel HEMBREE, was born in
Spartanburg, S.C., Marc 25, 1793; when nine years old he came to Roane County, Tenn.,
and in 1812 enlisted in the war; in 1836 he was a colonel; he served three terms in the
Legislature and twice in the State Senate; was a strong Democrat. He died December 23,
1868, in the Christian faith.

I.A. HILL, manager of the mines at Ironton, was born in Roane County in 1845, and reared
on a farm in this county. In August 1861, he enlisted in the First Tennessee Federal
Infantry, and served three years. After the war he followed farming until about 1878, when
he became interested in mining. The firm of HILL & KINDRICK was formed in 1884, and
now possesses two tracts aggregating 265 acres at Ironton Mines, and also forty acres of
mineral rights, employing about fifty men. In addition to these mines they operate three
others, all near the Tennessee River, in which they employ about 100 men. These four
mines annually produced about 31,000 tons, which is furnished to cities, the Chattanooga
Iron Company's furnaces, and the Dayton furnace. In 1870 he married Margaret A.
KINDRICK, to whom have been born three sons and thee daughters. Mr. KINDRICK
lives in Chattanooga, attending to the boating and sales, while Mr. HILL manages the
mines. His parents, Barney and Nancy (MILLICAN) HILL, natives of Bradley County,
after marriage moved to Roane County, where they reared five children, all living. Our
subject was a child when the father died, and the mothers' death occurred in 1877.

H.B. HINDS, an enterprising farmer, was born in 1852 in Roane County, where he has
since resided. He received a good common-school education, and was thrown upon his own
resources at thirteen, and has ever since been engaged in farming. He has a fine 200-acre
home farm. In 1878 he married Susan, a daughter of Christie and Martha MILLARD.
Their children were Maggie (deceased) and Pearl. His second wife, to whom he was
married in 1887 was Mrs. Mattie BAKER, daughter of Thomas and Eliza SNODGRASS.
He is a Republican, and cast his first vote for GRANT. He is the eldest of two children--a
son and a daughter--of George W. and Elizabeth (ROBBS) HINDS, both natives of Roane
County, where the latter still survives her husband. In 1861 the father enlisted and served
until November, 1862, when he died in Indianapolis. He was of Irish origin, and a son of
Joseph and Susan (HAWKINS) HINDS, natives of North Carolina, and after their
marriage residents of Knox County, and finally of Roane County.

J.C. HINDS, a farmer and butcher at Rockwood, was born in 1837 in Roane County.
When sixteen years old he began life Indexpendently, and in 1855 went to California, where,
for the first four years, he worked on a stock ranch. He afterward combined butchering
and stock-raising, and in 1866 returned to Tennessee, where he has since resided. In
December 1867, he married Ruth Caroline, a daughter of L.J. HINDS, a native of Roane
County. Their children are William C., Rilla C., Nora L., Samuel B., Martha E., Katie K.
and Ella M. The eldest daughter and her parents are members of the Christian Church.
In politics Mr. Hinds is Conservative, and first voted for LINCOLN. He is the third of
four children of John and Sarah A. (HICKEY) HINDS, the former born and reared in
Roane County, and the latter born in Knox County, but a resident of this county since
childhood. The father, an excellent farmer, was captured and held as prisoner at
Chattanooga for three months during the late war. The grandfather, Sylvanus HINDS, and
a brother were the pioneers in honor of whom Hinds Valley received its name, and the
former was a soldier of the Creek Indian war and that of 1812. Our subject began as a
poor man, but now owns 100 acres one mile east of Rockwood, and also deals extensively
in stock.

T.A. KINDRICK, a farmer, was born February 17, 1845, in Roane County. He received a
good academical education, and when twenty-five years of age began for himself. In 1868
he went to Missouri, and worked in a fruit-tree nursery for fourteen months, and then
returned to Roane County, his present home. December 25, 1877, he married Mollie,
daughter of William and Margaret (McPHERSON) FOUST, natives of Roane County, the
former of whom served as sheriff of Rhea County for several years, and was a soldier
during the entire late war. Our subject's children are Samuel McK., Ira E., and Mary M.
His wife is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church; in politics he is a Democrat, first
voting for SEYMOUR. He is the eighth of eleven children, seven sons and four daughters,
of Samuel and Mary (RECTOR) KINDRICK, the former born in Upper East Tennessee,
and since his childhood a resident of Roane County, and the latter a native of Roane
County, and deceased in 1886, aged seventy-seven years. The grandfather, Samuel
KINDRICK, Sr., was a native of Virginia, of Dutch descent, and one of the earliest
pioneers of Roane County. The father, beginning as a poor man, now owns 300 acres. Our
subject owns a fine farm of 196 acres on the Tennessee River, nine miles west of Kingston.

Hugh MARTIN, of Childers & Martin merchants, was born in Knox County, in 1836, the
youngest of nine children (five sons and four daughters, three of the former and two of the
latter still living) of Samuel and Julia (REESE) MARTIN. The father was born in Ireland,
and came across the water in his youth, locating in Jefferson County and finally in
Kingston. Here he followed merchandising, and supplied the garrison during the war of
1812. In 1830 he left Kingston and went to Campbell's Station, Knox County, where he
was engaged in mercantile trade about fifteen years. Agriculture then occupied his
attention until his death, in 1856, three years after the death of his wife. Our subject came
to Kingston, in 1853, to attend school, but soon embarked in the mercantile trade in the
firm J.B. & H. MARTIN. This firm continued until 1864, when the brother withdrew, and
our subject conducted the business during and after the wa, until the present firm was
formed in 1870. May 1, 1871, he married Sarah E. CENTER, a native of Roane County.
By this alliance two sons and four daughters have been reared. The family are p
Presbyterians, and he is a Mason, and has been treasurer of Union Lodge No. 38.

Capt. W.E. McELWEE, attorney, ore miner and farmer, was born in 1837, in Roane
County, where he has since lived. He received a good common-school education, and was
thrown upon his own resources when eighteen years old. He began poor, and what he is
now worth was accumulated by his own industry and good management. He first worked in
a foundry for three years, then worked at cabinet work two years, then enlisted in
Company I, Twenty-sixth Tennessee Infantry (Confederate States Army) in July 1861, as a
private. In December, 1861, he was elected second lieutenant, and, immediately after the
battle of Murfreesboro, was promoted to the captaincy of his company for his bravery and
efficiency as an officer, and was placed on a committee to examine and determine upon the
competency of officers, in which capacity he served until after the battle of Chickamauga,
when he was placed in command of an engineer of Hood's corps, which position he held
until the close of the war. He was surrendered at Greensboro, N.C., with Gen.
JOHNSTON'S army. He then came home and worked as a mechanic two years, when he
acted as civil engineer for "The Roane Iron Company," for the following six years, when
he engaged in mining iron ore, which, in connection with farming, he has since followed. He
was married, in 1868, to Miss Martha R. BROWN, a daughter of William F. BROWN, of
Roane County. Three children were born to this union: Franklin, and two that died in
infancy. Mrs. McELWEE is a Democrat in politics, but cast his first presidential ballot for
BELL and EVERETT. He is the youngest of four children of William and Lucinda
(EBLEN) McELWEE. The father was born in Loudon County, Va., and when seven years
old was brought to Tennessee. William McELWEE was the first white child known to have
been born in Roane County. He was one of sixteen children of James McELWEE, a native
of Charlotte, N.C., and immigrated to Tennessee when Daniel BOONE came west the
second time. He served as a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and served in SEVIER'S
regiment during the battle at King's Mountain. William McELWEE was of Scotch-Irish,
and Mrs. McELWEE of German descent. James McELWEE married on the Watauga
River, in Virginia, and was among the first settlers at Knoxville. He first settled five miles
below Knoxville, and was the first man to go to the rescue when the CAVETT family was
massacred. He served in all the expeditions made against the Indians during the frontier
time of East Tennessee, and died in Roane County. William McELWEE served under
Gen. JACKSON in his Indian campaigns, and also served in the war of 1812. W.E.
McELWEE participated in forty-two battles during the late war, and was wounded three
different times.

Elbert C. MONTGOMERY (deceased), a farmer, was born December 23, 1825, in Roane
County, where he died May 3, 1886. His limited education he supplemented to a great
degree by his own study and reading, in after years. In 1851 he married Elizabeth C.
STEPHENS, daughter of William and Emeline STEPHENS, natives of Bledsoe County.
Mr. STEPHENS was justice of the peace for many years, and a son of Isaac and Anna
(DAVIS) STEPHENS, among the pioneers of the Sequatchie Valley. Our subject's
children were Mary E., now Mrs. W.W. SMITH; William S. (deceased) a graduate of
Emory and Henry College, Virginia, in the class of 1879; Maggie, a graduate of Martha
Washington College, Virginia, in the class of 1876; John A., a graduate of Emory and
Henry College, in the class of 1883, and for some time a teacher, but later a farmer; and
Laura F., educated at Martha Washington College. Our subject was from his majority, a
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and after the separation, in 1844, was a
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He was a prominent and influential
church member. His wife and children belong, likewise, to that determination. He was a
Democrat at the time of his death, but was formerly an old line Whig, and first voted for
TAYLOR. He began life for himself when twenty-five years of age, and at his death owned
a fine farm of 1,000 acres, all, excepting a gift from his father, the result of his own care
and ability. He was a successful farmer and a prominent and highly respected citizen, and
greatly missed by all who knew him. He was the sixth of seven children--four sons and
three daughters--of John and Mary (WENTON) MONTGOMERY. All the children are
living in Missouri, excepting our subject and Alexander, and Mary (Mrs. WHITE) who
moved to Missouri, then to Texas, and finally to California. The father, probably a native
of Sevier County, was a pioneer there and in Roane County, where he died.

Joseph A. MUECKE is a well-to-do and enterprising citizen of Kingston. He was born in
Hungary in 1843, and, with his parents, came to America in 1849, locating in Kingston,
Tenn., in July of that year. At the commencement of the war, our subject entered the
Union service, serving three years in the First Tennessee Infantry, after which he returned
home, and since been engaged in merchandising. He served as Roane County trustee
during the years 1884 and 1885. His parents, Joseph and Frederica are citizens of
Kingston. The father taught school in Hungary, and has followed merchandising here. Our
subject married Henrietta NEERGAARD in 1872. She is a native of Holstein, Germany,
but was reared in Roane County. To this marriage three sons and four daughters have
been born, two of the sons are deceased. He and wife are members of the Presbyterian
Church.

R.W. NEERGAARD, a prominent farmer of the First District, was born at Paint Rock,
Roane County, in 1853, one of eight sons (one daughter) of Theodore and Augusta
(STUHR) NEERGAARD, our subject, Theodore A. (of Missouri) and Henrietta (Mrs.
MUECKE) being the only survivors. The parents were reared and married in Germany,
and in 1848 came to America and located at Paint Rock, where they attended to their farm
until their respective deaths, in 1858 and 1878. The mother moved to Kingston in 1867 to
educate her children, and lived there until her death. In 1877 our subject married Nannie
W. PATTON, a native of Roane County, and daughter of Dr. J.P. PATTON. Of their five
sons one is deceased. He then bought his present home of 200 acres, mostly Tennessee
River bottom lands. He also owns 400 acres in this county, part of his father's estate. He
grows cereals, and also gives considerable attention to stockraising. The family are
Presbyterians.

W.J. OWINGS, merchant and manufacturer of woolen goods, was born December 15,
1815, within three miles of Rockwood, his present home, where he has since lived,
excepting two years in Kentucky and Ohio. When eighteen he was thrown on his own
resources, and by his own ability has acquired what he has. He was a carpenter and
millwright before the war, when he was made sutler by Col. BYRD, of the First Tennessee,
in which he continued up to 1863. He then engaged in merchandising at Nicholasville, Ky.,
where he remained one year, and then returned to Roane County, his present home. On
January 13, 1839, he married Margaret, a daughter of Samuel and Margaret KENDRICK,
who were the earliest pioneers of Roane County, and of German descent. Of our subject's
eight children, the following are now living: Samuel A., F.D., State's attorney of the Roane
County District; Mary, now Mrs. William SMITH; and Martha A., now Mrs. Thomas A.
BROWN. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church. He is a Republican, and
first voted for VAN BUREN. He is the eldest of thirteen children born to Samuel and
Sarah (RANDOLPH) OWINGS. The father was born and reared in Roane County, and
was a soldier in the war of 1812, and assisted in the removal of the Cherokee Indians to the
Indian Territory. He was the third of nine children born to Edward and Elizabeth
(SUMPTER) OWINGS, natives of North Carolina, and he was the first man to cross the
Big Emory River and there build a house. Both were of English descent, and the
grand-mother was a woman of remarkable force of character.

S.A. OWINGS, merchant, was born in 1850, in Roane County, where he has since lived,
excepting two years spent in Kentucky. He received a good academic education, and was
thrown upon his own resources when twenty-three years of age. He first ran a carding
machine and saw mill, managed a farm for five years, and then engaged in merchandising
and milling in partnership with N.D. ACUFF, as OWINGS & ACUFF. He began life with
$3,500, received from his father, but by his ability in management he now owns, besides the
stock and seventy acres belonging to the firm, seventy acres where he now resides. In
1876 he married Martha J. McGREGOR. Their children were Lennie L., James S.
(deceased), Mary A., Samuel C. (deceased), and an infant (deceased). Both are members
of the Christian Church. He is a Republican in politics, and first voted for GRANT. He
was elected justice in 1883, which office he still holds. He is the sixth of nine children born
to W.J. and Margaret (KENDRICK) OWINGS, both residents of Roane County all their
lives. The father, a sutler for the First Tennessee during the late war, began life a poor
man, and succeeded in accumulating considerable property. He was a splendid millwright.
His home is in Rockwood. The grandfather, Samuel, was one of the first pioneers of this
county.

J.C. POPE, county court clerk, was born in Roane County in 1843, and was reared on a
farm in the county until the commencement of the war, when he enlisted in the Fifth Federal
Infantry, and after the retreat from Cumberland Gap was promoted to orderly sergeant,
serving until the close. He then located on a farm till he was elected county surveyor in
1874; then moved to Kingston, where he has since resided. He served as surveyor until
1878, and was then elected county court clerk, and is now serving his third term. In 1866
he married Matilda C. MATHEWS, a native of Roane County, by whom one son and six
daughters were born--five daughters living. The mother of these children died in April,
1882, and in September 1883, our subject married Mary E. SMITH, also a native of Roane
County. Jehu POPE, the great-grandfather of our subject, was of Irish descent. He was
reared in Virginia, married there, and moved to Jefferson County, Tenn., where William E.,
the great-grandfather of our subject was born. The latter was a Baptist minister, and soon
after the establishment of Blair's Ferry, located in Roane (now Loudon) County, then
afterward in this county, where he died in 1867. Jehu H., the father of our subject, was
born in Jefferson County, was a Baptist minister, and died in Roane County in 1875. Our
subject's mother, whose maiden name was PARKER, was a native of Roane County, and
died in 1880.

W.B. REED, editor of the Kingston East Tennessean, was born in 1836, in Charlestown,
Jefferson Co., Va., where he was reared and educated. From 1858 to 1861 he was engaged
in journalism in his native county. At the breaking out of the war he enlisted and served in
the Twelfth Virginia Cavalry, under Col. Turner A. ASHBY, eighteen months. Then, under
the Confederate law excempting newspaper men, he was discharged and engaged on the
Richmond Examiner about a year. Tiring of newspaper life he again enlisted--this time in
the marine service--serving as coast-guard on Chesapeake Bay, where with his squad, he
was captured and spent eleven months at Point Lookout and other Federal prisons.
Through a special discharge of the naval men in February, 1865, he returned, and again
being discharged, he re-engaged on the Richmond Examiner, where he remained until the
close of the war. In November, 1866, he came to Kingston and established the paper of
which he has been editor and proprietor ever since. In 1875 he married Mary E.
JACKSON, of Virginia, who died in 1879. He then married her sister Roberta. They are
both presbyterians, of which church he has been an elder for several years. His father,
John, was born in Maryland. He married Emma DAVIS, in Charlestown, Va., and lived
there permanently. Our subject is the only survivor of four sons and two daughters who
lived to maturity.


E.W. ROBBS, a merchant and farmer, was born August 30, 1827, in Washington County,
Tenn., and since his eight year has lived at his present home. In April, 1847, he enlisted in
the First North Carolina Infantry, and was mustered out August 8, 1848, at Smithville, N.C.
August 11, 1861, he also enlisted in Company E, First Tennessee Infantry, and served until
March 7, 1865. He was second lieutenant of his company, and while stationed near
Washington, in Rhea County, guarding the ford there, he was captured, and with nine
others, of whom he became the only survivor, was held sixteen months and three days in
Libby Prison. He was engaged in iron forging until 1876, since when he has been devoted
to farming and merchandising at his present location. Besides his stock of goods he also
owns 500 acres of land on the C.S.R.R., all the result of his own skill and hard work.
March 11, 1852, he married Rebecca S., daughter of Samuel and Sallie OWINGS. Their
children are Alexander (now of Texas), Sallie (widow of the late W. TARWATER), and
Margaret (deceased). The mother died September 14, 1859. February 23, 1860, he
married Louisa ABLES, a daughter of J.C. ABLES. Their children were James,
Henderson, Nancy A., Lillie M., Amanda (deceased), Eddie Taylor. He is a Republican
and first voted for TAYLOR. He is the third of twelve children of Alexander and Nancy
(HICKEY) ROBBS, the former a native of South Carolina, and since boyhood a resident of
Washington County, Tenn. The mother was born in Wytheville, Va., and also when a child
became a resident of Washington County. He was a son of Edward and Betsey ROBBS, of
Irish origin.

William SMITH, a farmer at Post Oak Springs, was born June 3, 1827, in Roane County.
He began business for himself when thirty years old, a poor man. He was married, in
January, 1863, to Miss Mary OWINGS, daughter of W.J. OWINGS, of Roane County,
Tenn. Mr. and Mrs. OWINGS were born and raised in Roane County. W.J. OWINGS
was a sutler during the late war. To Mr. and Mrs. SMITH three children have been born:
James E. and Fidelia; the first born died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. SMITH are members of
the Christian Church. Mr. SMITH is a Republican in politics. He first engaged in
merchandising in Rhea County, Tenn., where he remained five years, and then went to
Texas for the purpose of seeing the country, with the view of locating. He remained there
one year, when he returned to Post Oak, and engaged in merchandising, at which he
continued until the breaking out of the late war. During the war he engaged in farming at
his present location, and also engaged in merchandising in Kentucky. After the war he
farmed the year following, when he engaged in merchandising with his brother, the style of
firm being William SMITH & Bro. He continued thus for the next eight years, when he
quit the goods business and went to farming, which has occupied most of his attention since,
except a store he ran in connection with farming up till three years since. He is the sixth of
eleven children of Anthony and Ann (BAILY) SMITH. The father was born in Virginia,
and when quite small was brought by his parents to Roane County about 1790. Mrs.
SMITH was born in Blount County, and when small was brought to Roane County, where
she resided until her death, which occurred in March 1887, aged about ninety years.
Anthony SMITH was a soldier in the Creek Indian war under Gen. JACKSON, and was
blacksmith and farmer by occupation. He died about 1847, aged about sixty years. He was
a son of John SMITH, who was born and raised in Virginia, and after his marriage came to
Tennessee. William SMITH has a fine farm of upward of 300 acres, where he resides,
besides some land he owns in other tracts, which he has accumulated by his industry and
good management.

L. SWAFFORD, merchant, was born in 1826 in McMinn County, Tenn. He began for
himself at nineteen, a poor farmer; but since 1873 he has been merchandising. In 1842 he
married M.C. WILSON, a daughter of Richard and Jane WILSON, natives of Tennessee
and of Irish and Dutch descent respectively. Our subject's children were Eliza J.,
deceased; Sarah E., now Mrs. WALSH; Mary A., deceased; Martha C., now Mrs.
AYTES; Ellen, now Mrs. WILLIAMS; John, a merchant in Meigs County, Tenn.;
Tennessee (deceased), Lawrence (deceased), Florence (deceased) and Theodosia A.
(deceased). Both have been members of the Baptist Church since their early years, in
which he has been clerk and deacon for eight years, and Sunday-school superintendent for
five years past. He is a Republican and for many years has been a justice of the peace.
He is the only child of John and Sarah (GAHAGEN) SWAFFORD, natives of Tennessee.
The grandmother, also named Sarah GAHAGEN, was born in Ireland, and after her
marriage first settled in McMinn County on coming to America. The father, John, is one
of eight children of Thomas and Sarah SWAFFORD. The father of our subject's wife,
Richard WELROED, was one of the most prominent Baptist ministers in McMinn County.
Our subject is a prominent member of his church, and an able business man.

J.B. TEDDER, a farmer and butcher at Rockwood, was born in 1829 in Roane County. He
is the fifth of eight children of John and Mary (ROBESON) TEDDER. The father was
born in Greene County, N.C. and when twenty-one years of age came to Tennessee,
settling in Roane County. The mother was born and raised in Jefferson County, Tenn., and
when quite small came to Roane County with her parents. John TEDDER was an internal
revenue officer for several years. J.B. TEDDER; was married, November 10, 1862, to
Miss Sarah J. SHADDEN, a daughter of John and Betsey (MITCHELL) SHADDEN. To
this union seven children have been born: Eugene S., John, Joseph, William, Mary E.
(deceased), Charles and Gideon. Mr. TEDDER is a member of the Methodist Episcopal
Church. He has an interest of 100 acres in the farm, where he now lives, and also owns 200
acres in Cumberland County. He is a Republican in politics. John TEDDER was of Welsh
and Mrs. TEDDER of English and French descent.

Capt. L.M. WESTER. John WESTER, the grandfather of Capt. L.M. WESTER, was born
in North Carolina and married there, feared most of his family there, and about 1815 came
to Jefferson County, Tenn., where his death and also his wife's death occurred. Daniel
WESTER, a son of John, and our subject's father, were born in North Carolina, in 1787,
left home at the age of ten years, passing through the town of Kingston located on Duck
River, but stopped at the fort at Kingston in Middle Tennessee, and in his sixteenth year
accompanied Capt. WILLIAMS to Natchez the expedition against the Spaniards, then
returned. In his seventeenth year he married Elizabeth LLOYD, then residing with her
parents, John and Rachel LLOYD, on Duck River. Daniel WESTER, his wife and her
parents, then moved to Jefferson County, and after a couple of years started back to Duck
River, but stopped at the fort at Kingston, where Daniel soon became a commissary
officer, and also deputy sheriff under Gen. BROWN, which position he held twenty-two
years. He was also with HARRISON in the battles around Lake Erie and in Canada.
After serving here at the fort under Gen. BROWN he became a local Methodist preacher,
and also located on a farm eight miles below Kingston, where he resided till his death. Our
subject is the eleventh of a family of twelve children, two sons and three daughters still
living. Daniel WESTER'S first wife died in 1843, and he then married Sarah
BREEDLOVE, by whom he had two sons and one daughter. Daniel WESTER died in
1860, and his second wife is still living. Capt. L.M. WESTER was born in Kingston in
1823, and remained with his parents till eighteen years old, then married Sarah HAMEL, a
native of Roane County by whom one son and two daughters were born, the son, John M.,
still living. This wife died in 1848, and he afterward married Catharine E. YOST, a native
of East Tennessee, by whom one son and two daughters are surviving. The Captain has
always made Kingston his home, with exception of the year 1851, when he resided in
Texas. At the commencement of the Mexican war he volunteered at Kingston in Company
C, Fourth Tennessee Regiment, being elected captain of Company G. His son, John M.,
enlisted in the same regiment, and was at the organization elected second lieutenant, he
being then sixteen years old. The captain served two years, then resigned on account of
sickness; the son, after serving two and a half years, received an appointment of cadet at
West Point, and withdrew to go there. The Captain has been in the Legislature three
terms, and State Senate once, and has been a justice of the peace for twenty nine
consecutive years, including the time he was in the army. He is now also county school
commissioner. At the age of nineteen he was elected constable, serving two years, and was
a colonel in the old State militia. During his official duties in both wars he never placed a
man of his under guard. He and family are Methodists.

J.A. WINTON, farmer, was born February 2, 1819, in Roane County, where he grew to
manhood. He was educated at Emory and Henry College, Washington County, Va. After
beginning life for himself at his majority, he engaged in teaching at Saltville, Va., and has
since been engaged as a farmer. February 2, 1843, he married Susanna, daughter of John
and Susan BAKER, who were among the earliest settlers of Washington County, Va., She
died in March, 1873. November 27, 1877, he married Carrie P. CORY (nee SMITH), a
daughter of John Y. SMITH, an old citizen of Roane County, and a prominent lawyer.
They have one child, John Lenoir. Mrs. WINTON died in 1881. Our subject has been a
Methodist, of the Southern Branch, since 1838. He is a Democrat, and first voted for
CLAY. He was justice of the peace about two years, and is a F. & A.M. He is the fourth
of the eleven children of James and Rhoda (MITCHELL) WINTON, natives of Roane
County, where they died March 17, 1849, aged sixty-two, and September 3, 1886, aged
ninety-one years, three months and fourteen days respectively. The latter was of Dutch
stock. The grandparents were John and Arabella (CUNNINGHAM) WINTON, the
former of Irish stock and born November 8, 1761, and the latter born May 18, 1763. John
was a successful financier, and amassed a large fortune before his death. He settled near
Muddy Creek Station sometime before 1785. Our subject owns a fine farm of about 500
acres on the Tennessee River, and is a highly respected, well-informed man.

RESEARCH ROOM       PAGE 1 OF 3       PAGE 2 OF 3       PAGE 3 OF 3