Goodspeed's Biographies of Roane County - 1886
Page 3 of 3.

Research Room

PAGE 1 OF 3       PAGE 2 OF 3       PAGE 3 OF 3


ANDERSON COUNTY

W.B.H. WILEY, coal operator, at Oliver Springs, was born in Roane County, Tenn.,
January 25, 1843. He is the son of Henry H. WILEY and Mary B.B. BOYD, who were
married January 2, 1822. The father was born in North Carolina, October 9, 1779. He was
the son of Alexander WILEY and Martha NOEL; this father was a farmer, in Tennessee,
for several years, and later went to merchandising in Kingston, Roane County, still later he
was elected county court clerk of Roane County; still later he became one of the wealthiest
men of his county, and all his wealth was gainted through perseverance and skillful
management. The mother of our subject was born in Virginia, March 31, 1804, and died
January 3, 1877. Unto her were born six sons and four daughters. Our subject was reared
on the farm, and received a common-school education, in the country schools. His work,
prior to the civil war, was farming. At the outbreak of the war, he enlisted in Company F,
Fifth Tennessee Infantry. At the close of the war, he returned to Kingston, and farmed in
Roane County, for two years, and then went to operating in coal, first at Coal Creek, then
at Oliver Springs, where he is now operating. He and his brother, H.H. WILEY, constitute
the Mount Carbon Coal and Coke Company, of Oliver Springs. In 1869 (October 29) he
married Miss Jennie McFARLEN, of Nashville. One son and eight daughters have been
born to this marriage. Three of these children are dead; those living are Thomas E., Z.A.,
Mary E., Katy, Luttie and Irene. Mr. WILEY commenced business without money, and
has gained considerable wealth, by his energy and enterprise. He is a self-made man, a
member of the Presbyterian Church, an Odd Fellow, and a Republican.

LOUDON COUNTY

The BLAIR Family, has, since the very earliest settlement of East Tennessee, been
prominent in its history, and still has many representatives in Loudon and the surrounding
counties. These are all descendants of John BLAIR, a soldier at King's Mountain, and a
pioneer from South Carolina to Washington County, Tenn., where he died in 1819. His
family of six sons and four daughters--Hugh, John, James, William, Thomas, Samuel, Jane,
Mary, Martha and Rachel--came from Washington County to the present site of Loudon
about 1790, and soon after, what was long known as Blair's Ferry was established. Hugh,
the eldest of this family, was a cripple, who never married, and always made his home with
his brother James. But little is known of the four daughters and of the second and sixth
named sons. James was born in 1777, and married Jane CARMICHAEL, a member of
another pioneer East Tennessee family. They remained in the vicinity of BLAIR'S Ferry,
where they accumulated considerable property and many slaves. They raised five sons
and two daughters, and had two infant daughters, deceased. William, the fourth mentioned
above, married Sarah SIMMONS, who died in 1849, six years after his own death. Four
sons and six daughters were reared by them. The fifth named above Thomas, remained in
Blair's Ferry a short time, and went to Indiana. John, the eldest of James BLAIR'S family,
was born July 19, 1800, and married Elizabeth JOHNSTON in 1827. He then located on
the farm now owned by his son, Dr. J.L. BLAIR. He was an officer in the State militia, and
was for many years a justice of the peace. His death occurred January 18, 1858, his wife
having preceeded him November 14, 1845. Dr. J.L. BLAIR is the eldest of five sons and
five daughters, and of three survivors of these, himself, Dr. Hugh A., of Wilson County,
and Martha a., now Mrs. George W. ST. JOHN, of Washington County. Dr. J.L. was born
in 1828, and in 1853 married Margaret L. BARKLEY, a native of Jonesboro. Of their two
sons and three daughters, two of the latter are deceased, as is the mother also, who died
January 5, 1871. In 1872 the Doctor married Mrs. Lucy A. OSBORN (nee GEORGE), a
native of Blount County, to whom two sons and four daughters have been born. The
Doctor was educated chiefly at Hiwassee College, and in 1852 attended the Union Medical
College, of New York, since which time he has practiced in this locality. Returning now to
the James BLAIR family, we will mention Wiley, who was bron in Loudon in 1813, and
married Mary M. JOHNSTON, rearing a family of three sons and two daughters, one of
whom, Rachel E.C., is now deceased. the other daughter, Laura J., is the wife of William
R. BLAIR, of this county. James M., W.W., and H.E.F. are the sons, the first of whom,
James M., was born in 1844, since which time he has lived in this vicinity. W.W. was born
in 1851 and married Frankie M. BROWDER; they have three daughters. H.E.F. was born
in 1854 and married Martha K. ELDRIDGE. They have two sons and six daughters; the
first of these, John, was born in Loudon (then Roane) County, in 1808, and married Mary
C. EDWARDS, a native of Virginia, to whom one son, William R. (a prominent farmer of
Loudon County) and one daughter, Sarah J. (now the wife of John HALL, of Loudon
County,) were born. John BLAIR and wife died in 1875 and 1880, respectively. Of the
other children of William BLAIR, Vincent and Hugh reside in Texas, and Elizabeth, now a
widow of Andrew ALLEN, resides in Loudon County. The rest are deceased.

Dr. R.P. EATON, a prominent farmer and successful practitioner, was born in 1835, in
Jefferson County, where he was reared and educated. About 1856 he began the study of
medicine, moving in 1858 within the present limits of Loudon County, and in 1865 to his
present home, where he has enjoyed a lucrative practice. He began, a poor man, with $4
and little property, but has, by care and application, acquired his present home of 600 fine
acres. He represented Knox and Roane Counties in the State Senate, in 1867-68, and at
present is one of the board of trustees of the State University. November 13, 1859, he
married his present wife. They have had two sons and five daughters. The EATON family
is of Scotch-Irish origin, and came to this State from Pennsylvania. The paternal
grandfather, Robert D., was a captain, under Jackson, in the war of 1812. He and his wife
died in Anderson County. Andrew C., the father, was born in Grainger County, in 1804,
and married Susan M. DONALDSON, of Jefferson County. Their decease occurred in
1878 and 1880 respectively. Our subject and Ellen C., now Mrs. BOYD (a widow) of this
county, are their only children.

J.P. FREEMAN, a farmer in the Eleventh District, was born in March, 1844, in Roane
County, in addition to Loudon County. He is the youngest of six children of James and
Achsa (PONDER) FREEMAN. The father was born and raised in Roane County. He
commanded Company D, Fourth Tennessee Infantry, in the Mexican war. He was a son of
John and Susan (DAVIS) FREEMAN. Mr. and Mrs. John FREEMAN were born and
raised in Virginia, and Mrs. FREEMAN came with her parents to Tennessee in 1812, and
Mr. FREEMAN came to Tennessee some time before that. He served Roane County for
many years as County Judge. James FREEMAN died shortly after he came out of the
Mexican War, from a disease contracted while he was in the service. Mrs. FREEMAN is
making her home with her son, J.P. FREEMAN. J.P. FREEMAN received his education
in the common schools of Roane County. When seventeen years old he enlisted in
Company I, First Tennessee Infantry of the Federal Army, and served until the fall of
1864. He was sergeant of his company. He was offered the captaincy of his company, and
also fo a cavalry company, but on account of ill health would not accept. He was thrown
upon his own resources when seventeen years old, a poor man, and what he is now worth,
was accumulated by his own industry and good management. He now owns 370 acres of
land on the Tennessee River, two and one-half miles north of Loudon. He was married in
1868 to Alice E. MALLOY. By this union one child was born--Alice, now Mrs.
KOLLOCK. Mrs. FREEMAN died in 1869. He was married to 1872 to Mrs.
LITTLETON, nee Miss HARVEY. By this union seven children have been born: James
H., Emerson J., Joseph W., Achsa, Robert S., Frances and Hester. Mr. and Mrs.
FREEMAN are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Mr. FREEMAN is assistant
clerk. He is Indexpendent in politics and cast his first presidential vote for Samuel J.
TILDEN. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.

G.W. HARDIN, a farmer, was born in 1833, in Knox County, where he continued to live
until the fall of 1858. He then traveled through several through several of the Western
States, and located near Springfield, Mo. He returned to Knox County, in March, 1860,
and, in 1862, enlisted in Company F, Twenty-sixth Tennessee Infantry (Confederate), and
served until he surrendered with Johnston's army. He had an arm shot off at Atlanta, and,
with the exception of the time he lay in the hospital because of his wounds, engaged in all
the actions in which his company took part. Farming has been his occupation. July 30,
1861, he married Julia C. WINTON, a daughter of John W. and Eliza (BROWDER)
WINTON, natives of what is now Loudon County. Their children were Oscar J. and Lula
B. (deceased). Mrs. HARDIN is a Methodist of the Southern Branch. Our subject is a
Democrat and first voted for Buchanan. He is the third of eight children, of Joseph and A.
(CALLOWAY) HARDIN, the former spending his whole life in Knox County, and the
latter a native of Ashe County, N.C., and from her sixteenth year a resident of Knox
County. The father was a colonel of militia. Our subject now owns a fine farm of 700
acres, well cultivated and located on the Union railroad, four miles east of Loudon.

C.M. HOTCHKISS was born in 1802, in what is now Loudon County. He is the third of six
children of Jared and Betsey (KNIGHT) HOTCHKISS. Jared HOTCHKISS was born and
raised in New Haven, Connecticut, and immigrated to Tennessee about 1801. He was a
tailor by trade, and during the Revolutionary war assisted in making clothing for soldiers.
He was widely known, and a highly respected citizen. He kept a tavern for many years on
the Knoxville & Kingston Road. Mr. and Mrs. Jared HOTCKISS were of English
descent. Mrs. HOTCHKISS was born and raised in New Glasglow, Va., where she
married. After his father's death, in 1838, C.M. HOTCKISS began business for himself,
and supported his mother until her death, in 1842. C.M. HOTCHKISS was married in
1838 to Sallie Ann WYLEY, a daughter Harris and Artemus (TAYLOR) WYLY. Mr. and
Mrs. WYLY were born and raised in Virginia, and at a very early age moved to Alabama,
where Mrs. HOTCHKISS was born in 1811. Mr. WYLY moved his family to Blount
County, in 1829. He followed merchandising from the time he became twenty years old
until his death in 1841. He served his district as justice of the peace for many years, giving
entire satisfaction. Mr. WYLEY was of Irish and Mrs. WYLY of English descent. To Mr.
and Mrs. HOTCHKISS six children have been born: Louisa, now Mrs. LAUDERDALE;
Isabella, who first married John ANDERSON, and after his death she married John HILL;
Sallie, now Mrs. JOHNSON; Betsey, deceased; Artemus, deceased; Claiborne, deceased.
Mr. and Mrs. HOTCHKISS are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Mr.
HOTCHKISS has been a deacon in the church since 1832. He is a Democrat in politics
and cast his first presidental ticket for a Democratic candidate in 1824. He is a very
enthusiatic Christian worker, and a very successful Christian worker, and a very successful
farm manager.

W.E. HUFF, a farmer and citzen of Loudon County, was born October 14, 1842, and is a
grandson of John HUFF, who was a native of Virginia, and married Mary YATES, a
member of a prominent Virginia family. They reared most of their family of three sons and
six daughters, in Virginia, then located near the mouth of the Sweetwater, within the
present limits of Loudon County. He was agent for the King Salt Works, of Virginia, many
years, and died in 1830; his widow afterward lived with the children till her death in this
vicinity about 1850. Some of the children moved to Texas, some to Missouri, and others to
Kentucky; James H., now of Whitfield County, Ga., near the Tennessee State line, being
the only survivor. William Yates HUFF, one of the sons of John and Mary HUFF, and the
father of our subject, was born in Virginia in 1809, and in youth came with his parents to
this vicinity, and remained at home till the age of maturity, then married Keziah
TUNNELL, and located on a farm and followed agricultural pursuits as his general
occupation the balance of his life. He served as a Roane County official fourteen years
and at the time of his death in 1870 was chairman of the Loudon County Court. His wife
(our subject's mother) was a great-granddaughter of William TUNNELL, of Spottslyvania
County, Va., whose youngest son, Stephen, (grandfather of our subject's mother) was born
in 1754 or 1755, near Fredericksburg, Va., and married Keziah MONEY in 1776, and later
located near Jonesboro, Tenn., from where he moved to Sequatchie Valley in 1804, thence
to Monroe County, Ky., in 1808, and died there in 1828. William TUNNELL (father of
subject's mother and grandfather of our subject) was born in 1780, and the was the second
of eleven children born to Stephen and Keziah TUNNELL. He was among the first settlers
of the Hiwassee Purchase, and entered the land now owned by Loudon's old citizen, T.J.
MASON, where he lived, and died in 1846. He (William TUNNELL) reared a large family,
our subject's mother, Keziah, being the eldest. Her death occurred in 1866. Two sons and
six daughters formed the family of William Yates HUFF, our subject being the youngest
son and fifth child. In 1876 our subject married Rachel A. JOHNSTON, who was born and
reared on the farm where they now reside, which contains 325 acres. Mr. HUFF also owns
another tract in the county. To the above marriage six children have been born, three now
deceased.

J.B. JACKSON, a farmer, was born in Roane County, Tenn., in 1830. The grandfather left
Virginia and became a permanent resident of Washington County, Tenn. Josiah J.
JACKSON, the father, was born in that county, Christmas day, 1800, and grew to manhood
on the farm, living with his mother and step-father. He married Mary BROWDER, a
native of North Carolina, who had come in childhood to Tennessee, where they located at
the site of Lenoir's, Loudon County. Josiah continued farming in Roane County after his
marriage, then for seven years lived in Monroe County, and finally moved to Blount
County, where he died January 17, 1877, and his wife November 5, 1886, at eighty-eight
years of age. Our subject remained with his parents until thirty years old, and then married
Sarah KEEN, a native of Loudon, formerly a part of Blount County. He then followed
farming. Their children were Susanna Frances (deceased), Adria R., Lee, William Keen
and Josie H.

Capt. James LACKEY (deceased) was a prominent citizen of Roane (now Loudon) County,
and was born in Virginia, from which State he came to Blount County when a young man,
and afterward located where his parents died. He married Jane MATLOCK, also of
Virginia. He served in the war of 1812, and for many was deputy sheriff of Roane County.
He died in 1875, in his eighty-ninth year. His widow still resides on the old farm. Of five
sons and one daughter reared to maturity, three sons are still living: Samuel, Jackson and
James. One son, William, was captain of the Nineteenth Tennessee (Confederate), and fell
at Chickamauga. Samuel was on post duty in the same regiment until the close of the war;
and JACKSON served as private throughout the war. James enlisted, but was discharged
on account of disabilities. Capt. James LACKEY was an active Whig prior to the war. He
was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and became wealthy before his
death.

B.B. LENOIR, M.D., of Lenoir's Station, was born March 5, 1821, in his present locality.
He graduated as B.A. from East Tennessee University (now the University of Tennessee)
in 1842. He took a course of medical lectures at Charleston, S.C., and completed his
course at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, where he graduated in 1846. He has
since practiced medicine in his present location, and with eminent author of the "Annals of
Tennessee." Their children were James R. (deceased), William B., Charles B. (deceased),
and Henry R. She died May 25, 1864. May 14, 1872, he married Margaret V., daughter
of John SILER, of Macon County, N.C. Their children were, an infant daughter
(deceased), John S., Mary E., Benjamin B., Louisa C. and Mira F. Our subject is the tenth
of twelve children of William B. and Elizabeth (AVERY) LENOIR, natives of Wilkes and
Burke Counties, N.C. In 1810, after their marriage, the parents moved to the present
location of Lenoir's Station. William, the grandfather, was born in Brunswick County, Va.,
and when a child went to North Carolina. He was in several expeditions against the
Indians. He was first lieutenant under Col. CLEVELAND, and volunteered as a private in
a forced march to overtake FERGUSON at King's Mountain. After the Revolution he was
a general of militia, and by the first convention which passed the constitution of North
Carolina, he was appointed justice of the pece, and also by the first General Assembly
convened under that constitution. He served many years in both branches of the
Legislature, being president of the Senate during his last term. He was clerk of the county
court two years, and the first president of the trustees of the University of North Carolina.
William B., the father, was a justice of the peace for several years, and a farmer. In 1877
the Lenoir Manufacturing Company was chartered by the Legislature of Tennessee. The
company owns 3,000 acres of land, of which about 1,000 are in cultivation; a flouring mill of
150 barrels capacity, using the roller process; a cotton factory, making cotton yarns and
batting, and a large
general store. Dr. LENOIR is president of the company, etc.

Thomas Jefferson MASON, an old pioneer citizen of Loudon, was born in Roane County,
December 1, 1806. Daniel MASON, the father, came to a fort within the present limits of
Roane County when a lad, from the Potomac River, in either Virginia or Maryland. He
became the second husband of Mary GILLAND nee BRASHEAR. They followed
agricultural pursuits within the present limits of Roane County till their death. He was in
the war of 1812, and died in 1840. His first wife, the mother of our subject, died in 1819,
and our subject's father, afterward married Patsey HICKS, who outlived him, and was the
mohter of ten children. Our subject is the only survivor of a family of six children, he being
the youngest of three sons. The immediate subject of this sketch remained at home till
about eighteen years of age, then began flat-boating on the Tennessee and Mississippi
Rivers, which he continued for twenty-five years, part of the time for himself and part as a
hired hand of other parties. During this time he spent twenty months in the United State
service as second-lieutenant, assisting in the removal of the Cherokee Indians. In 1845 he
married Eliza S. KERR, a native of Sullivan County, and after quitting the river trade, in
1851, purchased and located, in 1852, upon the farm where he has since resided. He was
elected to the Legislature in 1865, serving until 1869, beng in the session at the time of
President LINCOLN'S assassination. In 1876 he was elcted Loudon County trustee, and
served about a year and then resigned. He received a commission from Gov. HAWKINS
to serve as railroad tax assessor for the eastern division of Tennessee, serving in that
capacity two years. Mrs. MASON is a lady ten years younger than our subject, and has
become the mother of three sons and four daughters--one son and three daughters still
living. Thomas Jefferson, the surviving son, graduated at the University of Tennessee, (he
was born in August, 1863). Mary, the eldest surviving daughter, is a graduate of the
Athens University (Grant Memorial University), and is now teaching in Chattanooga,
Elizabeth Eliza, second surviving daughter, is a graduate of Mary Sharp's College at
Winchester, Tenn., and is the wife of E.P. McQUEEN, a prominent attorney of Loudon.
Martha Ellen, the youngest surviving daughter, is also a graduate of Mary Sharp's
College. Mr. MASON and family are members of church, part belonging to the
Cumberland Presbyterian, and part to the Methodist Church.

John W. ROBINSON, a prominent citizen of Loudon County, was borb in the same locality,
January 17, 1829, and is a son of Thomas ROBINSON, born near the James River,
Virginia, May 10, 1789, of Irish stock. He moved to Hawkins County, Tenn., about the
time of the war of 1812, in which he participated. here he married Sarah KING, July 28,
1811, and with his brothers, John W., and James, located in the vicinity where Loudon now
stands, about 1822, there following agricultural pursuits until his death, July 1864. His wife
was a native of Kentucky, born December 28, 1788, and a daughter of Robert KING, an
officer in the United States service, who built the block house near where Kingston now
stands. Her death occurred on May 7, 1865. Three sons and six daughters constitue the
family of Thomas ROBINSON, namely: James R., who married a Miss Sarah SMITH,
and now resides in Loudon County; Fanny, who married Samuel LANE, and now resides in
Missouri; Elizabeth (deceased in 1858); Susan, afterward Mrs. MAYO, and after her
husband's death, became Mrs. LEWIS, but deceased in 1886; Nancy (deceased in 1865),
wife of James C. HASKINS; Mary, now Mrs. E.D. ROBINSON, of Loudon County;
Minerva, now Mrs. W. ROBINSON, of Monroe County; John W., our subject, and Robert
King (deceased in 1879), he served three years in the Rebellion, in the First Tennessee
Regiment, United State army. John W., is a millwright and carpenter, and has always lived
in the vicinty of Loudon. He also owns a farm on the Tennessee River, and one of the best
custom flouring mills in the county. In 1853 he married Mary M. SMITH, a native of
Roane County, born in 1834, and a sister of the wife of James R. They have seven sons
and three daughters. Our subject is a school commissioner, and after six years service as
justice, in Roane County, was appointed by the Legislature one of the commissioners to lay
out and organize the county of Loudon. [See Acts 1870]. The county was first named
Christianna. He has served in the same capacity, in this county, twelve years. He is a
Mason. The family are members of the church.

McMINN COUNTY

Frank B. McELWEE, secretary and treasurer of the Mount Verd Cotton Mills, was born
in Meigs County, March 12, 1844. His parents are Thomas B. and Martha (METLOCK)
McELWEE, the father of Scotch-Irish descent; the mother's descendants are not known.
Both are natives of East Tennessee, the father born in Roane County, and the mother in
Meigs County. The father was born about 1818, and is still living, a resident of Rhea
County. The mother was born about 1824, and is still living. The parents were married in
Meigs County, where they lived about sixteen years. In 1864 or 1865 they came to Rhea
County, where they have been ever since. Thomas B. built with his own means the Sewee
Cotton Mills, in Meigs County, and the Clear Creek Cotton Mills, in Rhea County. In
1865 he was sent to the State Senate to represent McMinn, Monroe, Meigs, Polk and
Bradley Counties, and afterward represented McMinn County two terms in the Lower
House. He served two years in the United States Army. He belonged to the secret
service, and ranked as captain; was one of Burnside's secret detectives, and at different
times he piloted the Union Army through the mountains in East Tennessee. He is a
Republican, and he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Our
subject is the third of nine children. He began business life as a manufacturer of cotton
goods, and has followed the same since. In 1866 he and his brother, James McELWEE,
leased the Eureka Mill, in McMinn County, for three years. In the latter part of 1869 he
and his brother purchased a half interest. Since then the mill has been run by the Mount
Verd Mill Company. In 1884 the capital stock was raised from $20,000 to $40,000, and the
capacity of the mill has also been doubled. They manufacture cotton work, yarns, carpet
work, etc. May 1, 1878, our subject married Miss Mary VAUGHN, daughter of Gen. John
VAUGHN. She was born in Monroe County in 1854. This union resulted in the birth of six
children, two sons and four daughters, all living. Our subject is a Republican, and he and
his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.

James OLIPHANT, M.D., a retired physician, of the Ninth District, McMinn County,
Tennessee was born in Greene COunty, Tenn., April 30, 1816, and is the son of James and
Jane (RANKIN) OLIPHANT. The ancestors of the OLIPHANTS came from Scotland.
The father was born in Faquier County, Va., April 28, 1776, and died in Greene County,
Tenn., November 1, 1846. He was the son of John OLIPHANT, who was born in New
Jersey, and died in Greene County, Tenn., about 1823, and was at the time of his death
seventy-four years of age. He was a gunsmith by trade, but afterward purchased a farm,
and turned his attention to farming. The mother's father was a native of Scotland, and fled
from that country on account of the religious persecutuion. The mother of our subject was
born in Greene County, Tenn., in 1782, and died in Greene County, in 1844. Our subject is
the seventh of twelve children. He secured a liberal education at Greeneville and
Tuscalum Colleges, and studied medicine with Drs. BROYLES, RANKIN and MOORE.
In 1839 he went to Philadelphia, Loudon Co., Tenn., and began the practice of medicine.
After two years he went to Roane County, Tenn.; then after three years went to Hamilton
County and remained one year, then moved back to Roane County, and remained until
1863, and then was int he S.P. Moore hospital, at Griffin, Ga.; after several months he
went to Albany, Ga., and was in other hospitals as a surgeon and nurse. After the war he
remained to Ringgold, Ga., for two years, then came to Riceville, McMinn County. After
one year he purchased and moved to the farm where he now lives. When he began for
himself he had just $5. At the beginning of the war he was worth valuable property, but lost
over $15,000. He is a Democrat. August 29, 1840, he married Lavina BALLARD, who
was born in Roane County, Tenn., February 7, 1822. She is the daughter of William and
Mary BALLARD. She had a good education, and is a member of the Baptist Church. This
union resulted in eight children, four of them now living: Mary J., John J., Samuel B., and
Charles W.

MEIGS COUNTY

Elisha S. BOGGESS was born at Ten Mile Stand, Meigs Co., Tenn., June 9, 1856, and is
the son of Abijah and Lavina (SHARP) BOGGESS. The father was born in Meigs County
and was killed at the battle of Bentonville (N.C.) while enlisted in the Confederate service;
he enlisted in the Twenty-sixth Tennessee Regiment as captain in 1861. He was at a great
number of battles; was taken prisoner and exchanged, but enlisted again. He was a
successful farmer, and a Democrat. His parents were Abijah and Susan E. BOGGESS,
who died in Meigs County. They were old settlers of Meigs County, Tenn. The mother
was born in Meigs County, and is now a resident of the same, fifty-eight years of age. She
is a member of the Baptist Church. Our subject is the fourth of seven children. He
secured as good an education as could be obtained at the home schools. he lived with his
mother until twenty years of age, when he went to his mother's farm in the Second District,
and remained seven years; then purchased 460 acres o fland in the Seventh District, 300 of
which are under cultivation. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and is a Democrat.
December 30, 1880, he married Martha EWING, who was born in Roane County in 1864.
She is the daughter of Elijah and Mary EWING. She has a liberal education and is a
member of the Baptist Church. This union has resulted in three children.

Samuel J. BREEDEN, M.D., was born in Roane County, July 25, 1852, the son of William
and Nancy (BARNARD) BREEDEN, of Irish and German stock, the former born on the
Virginia and Tennessee line, in 1803, and deceased in 1865, and the latter born in 1814, in
Roane County, and deceased in Loudon County in 1877. The parents spent their married
life in Roane County, where they made farm life a success. The father was a Union
Democrat, and both had been Baptists, but the mother and probably the father also became
members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The father was a colonel in the Cherokee
war, and was a financial success, although he lost much in surety money. Our subject, the
seventh of eight children, on account of delicate health and the war, was educated but little
before fifteen years of age, when he was educated cheifly at Hiwassee College, in Monroe
County. He was then a salesman in Philadelphia, Tenn., for two years. He soon returned
to Loudon County, and was engaed in the practice of medicine about eighteen months.
Since then he has been at Breedenton, which, before he and his brother established a store
there, was called Stewart's Landing, until 1886, he went to Dayton, Rhea County, but since
October of that year, he has been in Decatur. March 25, 1884, he married Hester
MARRELL, a native of Washington County, and born in April 1859. William E. is their
only son, born September 4, 1885. Our subject is a Democrat, and a Methodist, while his
wife is of the Presbyterian faith. She is a daughter of Eldridge S. and Susan T. (ALLISON)
MARRELL.

W.D. BROWDER, Sr., farmer, was born in Roane County, Tenn., January 25, 1823, and
son of William and Elizabeth (LACKEY) BROWDER, of Irish and English ancestry; the
former born in North Carolina February 10, 1792, and now a resident of McMinn County,
Tenn. The father, before giving so much to the building of churches, to his children, and
before his slaves were freed, was worth about $40,000. He is a Methodist, and a
Democrat. The LACKEYS came from South Carolina to Tennessee, about 1800. The
mother of our subject died in Monroe County, Tenn., in 1862, a member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church South. Our subject the third of eight children (four living), was educated
in the common schools, and left his father's farm when twenty-one years of age. He rented
for two years, and then bought a farm in Roane County, Tenn., of 280 acres; he lived on his
627 acres in McMinn for eight years, and after five years on another farm of 610 acres, in
Sweet Water Valley. He rented land in Williamson County for four years. After renting a
year in Meigs he bought 320 acres, and his father-in-law gave his wife 203 acres, making
the farm on which he now lives. He is a Democrat, Mason, Methodist and Prohibitionist.
October 24, 1844, he married Sarah A., a daughter of Philemon and Martha
DEATHERAGE, who was born in Madison County, Ky., October 20, 1823, also a
Methodist. Our subject improved and made money on his farm, but was ruined financially
by the war.

Elijah M. EWING was born in Roane County, Tenn., November 25, 1830, and is the son of
Jacob and Anna (MATHENY) EWING. The father was of Irish descent, was born in
Virginia, March 15, 1802, and died in Roane County baout June 6, 1870. His father moved
to Northeast Tennessee, but after about one year moved to Roane County when Jacob was
about seven years of age. He at an early age purchased a farm on the Tennessee River
near Caney Creek Island, but since named Ewing Island, where he lived until his death.
He was very religious, never missing a Sunday to go to the Baptist Church. He was the
son of james EWING, who was born in Ireland and came to Virginia. The other was of
English descent, and was born in either Greene or Washington County or Horse Creek,
December 22, 1800, and died in Meigs County about May 10, 1880. She was the daughter
of Elijah MATHENY, who was a native of Virginia, and died in Roane County, Tenn.
There were seven children, all of them now living, and in five hours' notice all can meet at
one place. Our subject is the fourth of these. He had poor school advantages but has
secured a practical education; he lived on his father's farm until his twenty-first year, then
went on an extensive western tour, and was gone nearly one year, visiting Texas,
Louisiana, Missouri, Illinois and Kentucky, then returned home and went to work again on
his father's farm until he was twenty-three years of age, when he moved to another one of
his father's farms; but after five years bought land on Riley Creek, Roane County. In
1881 he partly sold and partly gave it to his son, and purchased his present place,
consisitng of 520 acres, with the principal part under cultivation. His father gave him a
horse and some farm implements, which he spent of his western trip. When he returned he
went to work in earnest, and has made what he has by energy and industry. In the latter
part of 1862 he enlisted in Captain Kincaid's Company, of Col. McKenzie's Regiment, and
was in service for about a year. He is a member of the Baptist Church, a Mason, and is a
Democrat. October 13, 1853, he married Mary MURPHY, who was born on the farm on
which she now lives, December 5, 1830. She is the daughter of Benjamin and Nancy
MURPHY. She is also a member of the Baptist Church. This union has resulted in the
birth of ten children, six of them now living: John M., Martha J., Robert E., Nettie, Sarah
M., William A., and those dead died when young.

Arthur C. EWING was born near Kingston, Roane Co., Tenn., February 24, 1837, and is
the son of Jacob and Anna (MATHENY) EWING. The EWINGS are of Irish descent.
Our subject is th sixth of seven children. He secured a practical education at home
schools, which has been improved by constant reading and practice. In his twenty-first
year he moved to an adjoining farm owned by his father, and was engaged in farming until
the spring of 1862, when he enlisted in Company B, commanded by Capt. J.M. KINCAID,
of the Fifth Tennessee Cavalry, commanded by Col. G.W. McKENZIE, of the Confederate
service, and served with credit until the surrender at Bentonville, N.C. He was in the
battle of Chickamauga, and at Atlanta, and on the campaign south from Dalton, Ga., and
numerous skirmishes. He had two horses shot from under him, and his hat band cut in two
by a bullet, but was never wounded. In 1863 he was made orderly. Some time after the
war he purchased the farm that he had been living on, from his father, where he remained
until 1873, then sold it and bought 189 acres o fland in the Eighth District, Meigs County,
Tenn., which he has improved greatly. In the fall of 1884 he engaged in the mercantile
business at Euchee Landing with B.H. McCALLON; the firm name is EWING &
McCALLON. They carry a stock of goods worth $2,000. In 1878 he was appointed deputy
sheriff, serving under Frank HOLT for two years. He is a very active and enterprising
man, a member of the Baptist Church, is a Mason and a Democrat. March 25, 1858, he
married Seraphine BARNARD, who was born in Roane County, Tenn., July 7, 1841. She
is the daughter of Col. John A. and Eliza J. (CAMPBELL) BARNARD. She is a member
of the Baptist Church. This union has resulted in four children, all living: James A., Jacob
N., Elijah B., and Luleni Leoti.

Jonas FOOSHEE, farmer, was born on the farm he now owns Mary 19, 1842; the son of
John R. and Susan (HINDS) FOOSHEE, of French ancestry. The former was born in
Roane County, November 28, 1817, and is now a farmer of the Eighth District Meigs
County. For several years he was a justice, and chairman of the county court. He is a
Democrat. The grandfather, Absalom, was born November 20, 1797, in North Carolina,
and died in Meigs County in October, 1879, was a farmer, and among the first settlers of
Roane County. The mother was born in Roane County, about 1823, is still living, and is a
member of the Baptist Church. Seven of the twelve children are living. Our subject, the
eldest, has educated himself, and in 1861 left the farm to enlist in Company A,
Twenty-sixth Tennessee Confederate Infanty, as a sergeant, and at Chickamauga, and the
Atlanta campaing. He was sick at Fort Donelson, and escaped imprisonment; then went to
Company B, of Howard's Battalion. At Chickamauga he received a grape-shot wound.
After the war he went to White County, and purchased 376 acres of land, but in 1873 he
moved to Meigs County, having sold 150 acres of the White County land, and bought
between 500 and 600 acres in Meigs County. He is a Methodist, a Mason, a Knight of
Honor, and a Democrat. July 24, 1866, he married Jane, the widow of John TREWHITT,
and daughter of John and Sallie CROOK. She was born September 25, 1829, and is a
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Their children are Joseph C., George A., and
Robert E.L.

James H. FULLER, planter and ex-sheriff, was born in Washington County, Va., May 10,
1822, the son of Joshua and Mary (CLARK) FULLER, of Dutch-Irish and Dutch-English
stock, respectively, and born, the former in North Carolina, about 1790, and deceased in
Roane County, Tenn., November 11, 1858; and the latter born at our subject's birthplace,
May 10, 1792, and deceased in Roane County, December 27, 1871. The parents were
married about 1820, and lived in Washington County, about five years, then, after four
years in Roane County, they spent three years in Illinois. The father was a Democrat, and
a Methodist, while the mother was a Baptist. George FULLER, the grandfather, was in
the Revolution, and James CLARK, the other grandfather, also. the mother had been the
widow of Rev. James MOORE, who died, about 1816. Our subject, the eldest of seven
children, was educated in Roane County, and grew up on the plantation. Eleven years ago
he came to his present farm, purchased three years before, and for twenty-five years he
has been a citizen of Meigs County. February 18, 1845, he married Lucinda JOLLEY, who
was born in Roane County, in August, 1825, a daughter of William and Nancy JOLLEY
(deceased). Of six sons and four daughters, one of each sex is deceased. Our subject now
owns about 330 acres. He has given most of his farm to his children. From 1872 he served
six years as sheriff of Meigs County. He is now justice, elected two years ago,
unsolicited. He is a Democrat, and his entire family are members of the Baptist Church.

William M. HALE, planter, was born August 18, 1840, in Hamilton County, the son of
William and Elizabeth (FRANCIS) HALE, the former a Virginian, and the latter a native of
Roane County. the father, in 1840, three months before the birth of our subject, was
drowned in the Mississippi River, at New Orleans, where he had gone to trade country
produce for groceries, and the mother, about 1843, married Sanford RITCHEY. She died
Chattanooga. Our subject, through hardship, secured himself an education, and began for
himself at sixteen. In 1855 he went to Dallas County, Mo., with his brother, and worked on
the latter's farm two years. In 1859 he returned to Hamilton County, Tenn., to farm again.
In 1861 he enlisted in Company I, Nineteenth Tennessee Infantry, and took part at Fishing
Creek (Ky.), Murfreesboro, Shiloh, Chickamauga, and other actions. He was wounded at
the second place, and, after Chickamauga, was detailed, under Gen. PILLOW, in the
conscription department. He was a lieutenant and was the one who took teh wounded Gen.
Zollicoffer off the field. In May, 1864, soon after returning home, he married Martha J.
GARDENHIRE, who was born in Hamilton County about 1846. In 1864 he settled in
Hamilton (now James) County, but has, since 1885, been at his present home. He is a
Democrat, and has been successful in his career.

James M. HORNSBY was born in Roane County, Tenn., March 30, 1831, and is the son of
James and Eleanor (McCIDY) HORNSBY. The ancestors of the HORNSBYS were from
England. The father was born in Wake County, N.C., seven miles from Raleigh, about
October 25, 1792, and died in Roane County, Tenn., October 22, 1863. His father, William,
moved with his family from North Carolina to Roane County, Tenn., when James was about
sixteen, or about the year 1808. William HORNSBY died in Rhea County. His occupation
was that of a farmer, the same as James. James was very poor when he started, but before
his death had accumulated a considerable amount of this world's goods. He was a
Democrat, and a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The ancestors of the
McCIDYS were from Scotland and Ireland. Eleanor was born in South Carolina, in 1800,
and is still living at the old homestead, in Roane County, Tenn. She, also is a devout
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. There were twelve children in their family, six
of them now living, and our subject is the fourth. His advantages for an education were
poor, but he has been a great reader, and with practice has a good business education. He
remained on his father's farm until his twenty-third year; then went to Rhea County, and
rented land for one year; then moved to Meigs County, and purchased 300 acres, that
being his share out of a large tract himself and brothers had purchased of the GILLESPIE
estate. He has improved this land, and made it worth double the price paid for it. Just
after the war, in 1866, he was elected justice of the peace for six years. He is a very active
and enterprising man, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, a Mason, and a
Republican. On March 29, 1855, he married Martha L. BRADY, who was born in Rhea
County, tenn., Mary 20, 1832, and died in Meigs County December 7, 1871. She was a
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. She was the daughter of Farley and Elizabeth
(SMITH) BRADY. There are six children to mourn her loss; they are Mary C., Ellen E.,
Margaret E., Martha J., Susan H., and Laura A. September 9, 1884, he married Martha J.
WASSON, the widow of John WASSON, deceased. She is the daughter of M.H.B.
BURKETT. She was born in Botetourt County, Va., in 1842. She is a Methodist.

Hon. W.H. KING, a prominent farmer of the Sixth District, Meigs County, Tenn., was born
near Kingston, Roane Co., Tenn., August 31, 1843, and is the son of John S. and Martha
(EARNEST) KING. The father was of English-French descent was a grandson of Gen.
John SEVIER, and was the son of Walter KING, born in Roane County May 30, 1814, and
died in Loudon, Tenn., April 15, 1884. In early life he was engaged in farming. After 1870
and until his death he was circuit court clerk. He was a membeer of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, adn was a Mason. He was the cousin of the lamented E.F. SEVIER. On
December 1834, he was united in marriage with Martha EARNEST, who wwas born about
April 1, 1814, and died in Loudon, May 30, 1880. They were the parents of eight
children--six of them now living. Our subject is the third of these. His education is good,
and was obtained principally after the war. In 1861 he enlisted in Company I, of the First
Tennessee Infantry (Union Army), and served until September, 1864, with credit. He was
at the battles of Mills Springs, Cumberland Gap, pursuit of Gen. MORGAN in Ohio,
Murfreesboro, Lexington, Ky., where his command were mounted, and where they did
service until the Byrd and Sanders raid, iN East Tennessee; then went to Mossy Creek
and burned all the bridges to Knoxville; then went to Kentucky and did duty from July 1
until the latter part of August; then the reigment did duty as advance guard for Gen.
BURNSIDE, was stationed at Kingston, and was at the battle of Kingston, and from there
did service until the following May; then was ordered to the front with Sherman in Georgia,
and was at the fight of Atlanta; was there until the middle part of August; then moved to
Knoxville, then to Nashville, and was discharged. He was never wounded, buta different
times received bullet holes in his clothing. After the war he returned home, near Kingston,
and engaged in farming until elected register of Roane County at the January term of the
county court, and served until the regular election in 1866; then was elected by the people
for four years. He then moved to Loudon, engaged in farming, was appointed deputy
sheriff in 1876, and held the office for two years. Before this he was constable, or a
collecting officer, for six years. In 1880 he came to Meigs County and purchased land, and
has since been engaged in farming. In November 1886, he was elected to represent
James, Meigs, and Rhea Counties in the Forty-fifth General Assembly. He is a member of
the Methodist Episcopal Church, is a Mason and a Republican. On November 27, 1867,
he married Cynthia P. FRYAR, who was born in Roane County, Tenn., May 25, 1847, and
died in Meigs County, December 6, 1883. She was the daughter of H.J. and Irena
FRYAR. She was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. This union resulted
in the birth of six children, five of them now living: U.H., Charles W., Martha I., Ann M.,
and Nancy S.; John J. is deceased. On October 7, 1874, he married Sarah E. FOSTER,
who was born in McMinn County, Tenn., October 12, 1839. She is daughter of William and
Nancy FOSTER. Her father was a native of Virginia, and the mother of Kentucky. The
mother of our subject was a descendant of Gen. Joseph E. WARREN, who was killed at
Bunker Hill. He has an uncle who made a fine reputation as governor of Missouri before
the war, and was in Congress several terms--Austin A. KIRK.

MONROE COUNTY

James L. BACON, an enterprising merchant and farmer of Mountainville, the Fifteenth
District of Monroe County, Tenn., was born near Loudon, Loudon, Co., Tenn., September
7, 1847, and is the son of Drura A. and Caroline (BALLARD) BACON. The father was a
native Virginian, born December 4, 1808, and died in Loudon County, Tenn., in 1881. He
came from Virginia when a young man and settled in Loudon County, where he engaged in
farming. He had a good education; was a member of the Baptist Church, and a Democrat
in politics. He held the office of deputy sheriff and constable for many years. The mother
was born in Loudon County (known then as Roane County). March 17, 1817, and is now
living on the old homestead in Loudon County. She is a member of the Baptist Church. Of
their thirteen children, eight now living, our subject is the fourth. He remained on the farm
and attended the country schools until twenty years of age, when his father gave him and
his brother, Nathaniel P., land in Loudon County, which they sold. Our subject then came
to his present location in Monroe County, and in 1870 purchased land here. November the
same year he married Miss Anna PARSHALL, a native of Monroe County, Tenn., born
June 22, 1854, and the daughter of Dr. John R. and A.E. PARSHALL. This union resulted
in the birth of four children, all living: Walter, Rosa, Nona and Nathaniel L. Two years
after purchasing his present property he engaged in merchantile business, in which he has
been very successful. In 1884 he was appointed postmaster. He is a very active,
thorough-going man, and is a Democrat in politics.

William L. BROWN, farmer and citizen of Monroe County, Tenn., was born in Roane
County, in that State, near Kingston, January 9, 1840, son of Rev. Thomas and Jane M.
(PATTON) BROWN, both of Scotch-Irish descent. The father was born in Rockingham
County, Va., december 27, 1800, and died in Monroe County, Tenn., April 23, 1872. They
mother was born at Kingston, Roane County, Tenn., in 1817 and is still living. They were
married at Kingston, in 1834, and remained at that place until 1847, when they came to
Monroe County, and here remained. The father was a useful and popular preacher in the
Presbyterian Church for forty-five years, having entered the ministry in 1827. After the
division of the church in 1837 he belonged to what was known as the New School
Presbyterian Church, and subsequently he was connected with what is known as the
Northern Presbyterian. Our subject is one of ten children. He secured a good education in
his youth at Maryville College, but the breaking out of the war interrupted his studies to
some extent. He was reared on his father's farm, and cultivating the soil has been his
life-long occupation. He took charge of the farm after the death of his father. In February
1875, he maried Miss Sydney C. HOOD, a native of Monroe County, born at Madisonville
in 1847. To this marriage were born three sons and two daughters, one daughter
deceased. Mr. BROWN is a decided Republican and a worthy member of the Northern
Presbyterian Church.

Albert H. GALLAHER, an influential citzen, planter and merchant, and the son of George
and Lucinda (KING) GALLAHER, was born in Knox County, Tenn., May 1, 1842. The
father was born in Knox County, July 8, 1808, and was of Irish descent. He died in Roane
County, July 12, 1875. The mother was also born in Knox County, May 27, 1813, and died
in Roane County, August 10, 1876. They were married in their native county, September
6, 1831, and remained there until 1848, at which time they removed to Roane County,
where they passed the remaIndexr of their days. The father was a farmer, a Democrat in
politics, and a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. The mother was a
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Her father, Jeremiah KING, was for a
number of years an itinerant preacher of the Methodist Episcopal persuasion, and ws of
the Holston conference. Our subject is one of eight children. He was reared on the farm,
and secured a good education at Hiwassee College. In October, 1865, he married Miss
Fannie L. McCROSKEY, a native of Monroe County, born October 27, 1841, and to them
have been born four sons and three daughters. Previous to his marriage, in 1861, he
enlisted in Company F, in Browner's Batallion, Confederate Army, and served until the
final surrender. He was int he battle of Fishing Creek, Murfreesboro and others. He
returned home in June, 1865. In 1868 Mr. GALLAHER went into partnership with a
younger brother, William T. GALLAHER, and was engaged in the farming interest in the
Fifteenth Civil District of Roane County for four years. In 1876 he purchased and settled
where he now lives, and since then has been a live, energetic farmer. In 1879 he, in
partnership with H.M. McCROSKEY, established a general store of merchandise at
Glenloch, which is still flourishing at that place. Mr. GALLAHER is a Democrat in
politics, and is a member of the Cumberland Presbyerian Church, which he has served as
elder for the past fifteen years.

Robert King ROBINSON, a prominent lawyer of Madisonville, was born near Kingston,
Roane Co., Tenn., October 15, 1849; son of James R. and Sarah (SMITH) ROBINSON.
The father was born in Roane County, Tenn., in 1824, and is now a resident of Loudon
County, Tenn. He has held numerous offices, among them, clerk and master of Monroe
County, a special commissioner of the claims commission, and postmaster at Eve Mills.
He sold goods for several years after the war. His education was good and while still
young taught school. He was a Mason, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and
a Republican in politics. The mother is also a native of Roane County, Tenn., born 1827,
and is a member of the Methodist Epsicopal Church. Our subject is the third of nine
children, seven now living. He remained at home and attended the home school until 1864,
when he superintended the Eve Mills for his father for three years, after which he went to
the college at Athens, Tenn., known nown at the Grant Memorial College, where he
finished his education in 1871. He then went to the clerk and master's office at
Madisonville as deputy, and at the same time studied law under Col. T.W. BURGE. He
was admitted to the bar the next year by Judge E.T. HALL and Chancellor O.P. TEMPLE.
The same year he married Miss Texie HUNT, a native of Monroe County, and the
daughter of Lewis HUNT. To this union have been born three children, viz: Aurie, Robert
and Berie. Mrs. ROBINSON is a member of the Baptist Church. After being admitted to
the bar Mr. ROBINSON formed a partnership with Col. BURGE, but two years later
dissolved partnership and formed one with Z.T. HUNT. After a short time he again
dissolved partnership and formed one with S.P. HALE. In 1881 he discontinued the
practice of law, and received the appointment of postoffice inspector. The next year he
was in the pension department at Washington, and shortly after this was sent to
Springfield, Mo., as a special examiner, and had charge of twenty-one counties. At the end
of a year he resigned and engaged again in the practice of his profession. He was editor of
the Clarion, a Republican paper, during the campaign of 1884. Since returning to
Madisonville he formed a partnership with S.P. HALE in the farm and mill machinery
business. He has been chairman of the Republican Executive Committee of Monroe
County since 1972, except the years of 1875 and 1876.

RHEA COUNTY

Polk BROWN, an enterprising merchant of Spring City, Rhea Co., Tenn., is a native of
that city, born April 21, 1845, and is the son of W.F. and Amanda (RENFRO) BROWN.
The father was born in Roane County, Tenn., in 1804, and died in the same county in 1860.
He was a farmer and trader, and was a very prominent man in Roane and adjoining
counties. He was often urged by friends to be a candidate for office, but would never allow
his name to be used in that way. He had a fine business education, was a Mason and a
Democrat in politics. He began life with very little means, but before his death had
accumulated quite a fortune. The mother was also a native of Roane County, Tenn., born
in 1816, is now living, and a resident of Rhea Springs, Rhea Co., Tenn. She has an
excellent education, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Of their
twelve children seven are now living. Our subject was educated at Oak Springs and
Kingston Academy. In the spring of 1861 he enlisted in Company I, Twenty-Sixth
Tennessee Infantry (Confederate States Army), and served with much credit until the
surrender. He was in numerous battles among, which were the battle of Chickamauga, Fort
Donelson, and the famous retreat from Dalton, Ga., to Atlanta. He was taken with the rest
of the company, which was captured at Fort Donelson, to Camp Morton, Indianapolis, and
was retained as a prisoner seven months. After this he enlisted in Company A., of the
Sixteenth Tennessee Battalion. As a spy he went through the Federal lines five different
times, and was taken prisoner while on one of these trips, but escaped six days afterward
by cutting through one of the out-houses. At Chickamauga he had charge of a company (as
its captain) but afterward refused to act in that capacity on account of age. After the war
he finished his education and turned his attention to farming and stock raising. He
afterward removed to Rhea Springs, and engaged in merchandising. Two years later he
went to Roddy, Rhea County, and after trading in stock for six years moved to Springs
City and has since been engaged in the merchantile and real estate businesses, stock
raising and farming. he has also been urged to accept the nomination of Senator in the
counties of Rhea, Cumberland, Morgan, White, Sequatchie, Monroe and Van Buren. He
is a Democrat, and a Royal arch Mason. In April 1867, he married Miss Mary RODDY, a
native of Roddy, Rhea County, and a daughter of D.M. and Elizbaeth RODDY. Her birth
occurred January 1, 1847. She secured a fine education at Athens and Chattanooga, and is
a member of the Baptist Church. This union resulted in the birth of two daughters:
Florence B. and Mary E.

W.C. GARDENHIRE, of Dayton, Tenn., was born in Roane County, May 14, 1838, son of
George W. and Polly (BOTTOM) GARDENHIRE, both natives of Roane County, Tenn.,
and both of Scotch descent. The father was born in 1796, and is now living in Rhea
County. The mother was born in 1806 and died in Hamilton County, near Chattanooga.
They were married in Roane County, and subseqently moved to Hamilton County. The
father was a farmer, a slave trader before the war, and a Democrat in politics. W.C.
GARDENHIRE, received a liberal education, and began life as a salesman, which business
he followed two years. He then established a mercantile business of his own at Harrison,
and on a boat on the Tennessee River, which he continued up to the breaking out of the
late war, when he served three years in the Confederate Army. In 1866 he went to
California, and was engaged in the mining stock business in that State up to 1869, at which
time he made a voyage to the South Sea Islands, visiting the Fijians and the Sandwichers,
Australians and a number of others. He returned to California in 1871, bringing with him
four native Fijians, and after exhibiting them in Woodward Garden, San Francisco, for
some time at $150 a day, he sold them to P.T. BARNUM for $20,000. He returned to
Tennessee the same year on a visit, and in the spring of 1872 he went back to California
and was engaged in the mining stock business up to 1878. In the meantime (1876) he went
to Arizona, and located the town of Safford, Graham County. In the early part of 1877 he
went to New York City, and was one of the charter members of the American Mining and
Stock Exchange. About this time Mr. GARDENHIRE was suffering with Bright's disease,
and he spent several months in visiting the most celebrated springs in the United States,
with no improved symptoms. In 1879 he started on a voyage around the world. He visited
England, India, Africa, etc., and came into port at San Francisco, Cal., in the spring of
1881. April 3, of the smae year, he married Miss Julia WISEMAN, a native of California.
He afterward went to Arkansas and tested the virtue of the Eureka Spring. In 1884 he had
a survey made, and located the town of Dayton and subsequently built a fine residence
there, and was cured of Bright's disease by drining the water of Dayton Spring. He has
been very active in the erection of buildings, and in improving the town. He has been
instrumental in erecting six brick stores, opera house, brick livery stable, stone bank
(called Dayton City Bank), and numerous other dwellings. Our subject is a Democrat in
politics, and a man well-known and well respected by all who knew him. After returning
from the South Sea Islands, he wrote a history of Fiji and the Fijians, which had a good
sale.

Arch McCALEB, a well-known farmer of the Second District, was born in Knox County,
Tenn., near Campbell Station, November 11, 1818. His parents were Andrew and Ann
(BOYD) McCALEB. The father was born December 25, 1788, in the Fonta Campbell
Station. He was a soldier in the war of 1812 and 1814; he was in the battle of Horse Shoe.
He moved to Roane County about 1828. Five years later he settled in Rhea County, where
he died July 9, 1860. He was a successful farmer, and a Whig. The mother was born in
Pennsylvania, and came to East Tennessee with her parents when eight years old. She
died in Rhea County, April 30, 1853, a devout member of the Cumberland Presbyterian
Church. Nine children were born to their union, of whom our subject is the third. He is the
eldest of the two now living. The paternal grandfather, Arch McCALEB, was a native of
South Carolina. He settled in Knox County at the close of the Revolutionary war. He died
in 1813, at the head of Turkey Creek, Knox County, while on his way with the army to fight
the Creek Indians. In the war of 1812, fifteen members of the McCALEB family
participated. Our subject received such education as the schools of that day afforded. He
has gained considerable knowledge by continued reading and close observation. In 1837
he was engaged by the Government to assist in removing Indians to Arkansas. He is a
Mason, and a Democrat. Fifty-five years he has resided in the same place. He is an
enterprising, prosperous farmer, and has improved and added to the property which he
inherited. November 2, 1848, he married Nancy J., daughter of Hiram and Mary
(STOCKTON) GIBSON. She was born June 11, 1926, seven miles south of Decatur,
Meigs Co., Tenn. Two children were born to this union, both deceased. Mrs. McCALEB,
is a member of the Baptist Church.


RESEARCH ROOM       PAGE 1 OF 3       PAGE 2 OF 3       PAGE 3 OF 3