The Rockwood Times, Rockwood, TN, Thursday, 4 Aug 1904, Vol. XXIV, No. 21.
About Roane County People. by W.E. McELWEE.----"Every day seemed to bring us nearer the critical moment which would put our military skill and bravery to the test when on the 26th of June early in the morning we saw a rocket high in their air from the Admiral's ship. This we had no doubt was a signal to the troops on land to cross the inlet and attack us. We stood prepared at the waters edge, looking at the main body, apparently preparing for action; when from behind an oyster bank a little to our left and about sixty yards distant three or four hundred of the British rose up and fired on us. This was a complete surprise, for we had not the least suspicion of the party being there. But what surprised us equally as much, not one man of us was touched, not a single shot took effect, but a small party of Indians a little to our left, every man fell, and at the time we had no doubt were every one killed, but we had the pleasing satisfaction shortly afterwards to see every man jump run away and place themselves at a safe distance behind us unhurt. Not such was our fire at the British. Our rifles were in prime order well proved and well charged; every man took deliberate aim at his object and it really appeared as if every ball took effect and every man would have been killed at the first fire but it so happened that sometimes several men aimed at the same person, but the proportion that fell never to rise again was great. This fire taught the enemy to lie close behind their oyster shells and only show themselves when they rose up to fire. But in every ease they were cut down for ours were a certain and deadly aim with rifles. No man thought of pulling a trigger without having a sight on an object. Although they were reinforced their numbers diminished very fast until the few who were left ceased firing and fled. Another thing to our advantage, the enemy discovered that the narrow channel of water between us was too deep to wade and they did not have boats to cross more than two hundred and fifty at a time and such number would in all reasonable probability be cut off before other reinforcements could cross over to their aid and their muskets were of too short range to be serviceable across the channel. Another reason no doubt had its weight in preventing them from attempting to cross, they could see reinforcements coming up in our rear but we at the time knew nothing of them. The firing having ceased in our front and the enemy having withdrawn to the main body we had nothing to do but stand and view the engagement of the fort. While we had been engaged with our immediate adversary for over an hour seven or eight of the British ships of war had taken position immediately in front of the fort until now unnoticed by us and commenced a furious cannonade. The brave and deliberate Moultrie who commanded the garrison directed his engineers to take sure and certain aim and not throw away a shot and sink every ship in its place if possible. Had Gen. Lee entrusted them with sufficient ammunition at first I verily believe the order would have been literally complied with and not a ship would have been able to retire from under the first of the fort. In about two hours after the bombardment began we observed the fire on our side greatly slacken. We were apprehensive that a parley for a surrender was about to take place. But a fresh supply of powder was received from Charleston when the firing was renewed and continued with great effect until sundown. One or two of the ships were blown up and sunk and the remaIndexr drew off in a very shattered condition. Their loss was heavy both on land and sea."
Here the record ends of all the blank pages of the bible being filled. By writing in the bible the probability of its being preserved was greater than to have written on loose sheets of paper. Much of the collateral family history has been omitted from this come as uninteresting to your general readers and too remote from "Roane County People."
As heretofore stated John BROWN'S widow with her family, now all grown, moved from N.C. to Tennessee in 1797 and bought three hundred acres of land on town creek, near where Lenoir City is located. A daughter, Mary Tarver, married Dr. AYRES, one of the commissioners who built the first court house and jail in Kingston. After the death of Dr. AYRES, the widow married Dr. RICHARDS, also of Kingston. Of the sons, Robert Tarver married a Miss Valleia, of New Orleans, and settled in Missouri. One of his sons when on a visit to Tennessee, married, Sarah, a daughter of Rev. Samuel HARWELL, a noted methodist minister who lived six miles above Kingston.
William married Sarah KIMBROUGH, a sister of Joseph KIMBROUGH. These two as partners controlled for many years the great stage and pike road across the mountain through Crab orchard.
John afterward Gen. John BROWN, married a sister of Col. Uriah ALLISON of Kingston. They had four sons and two daughters. One of the daughters, Mary married Dr. John WESTER. Col. ALLISON died. BROWN and WESTER'S wives having also died. BROWN married ALLISON'S widow and WESTER his daughter, thus resuming again the relationship of father-in-law and son-in-law.
The Rockwood Times, Rockwood, TN, Thursday, 18 Aug 1904, Vol. XXIV, No. 23.
About Roane County People by W.E. McELWEE.--- In the year 1800 there had been sold twenty seven lots in the town of Kingston. The town site had not been cleared of the timber. The street had been chopped off. Lots sold at from seventy-five and eight hundred dollars according to location. The lots on third or Kentucky street being the highest priced. This was because the road from Knoxville had been laid out through this street. This road left the present road after passing Lawnville and came by the present poor farm. It was never graded for the reason that Jeremiah BUCHANAN established an Ordinary a (polite name for a saloon) up the hollow, now Race street, just outside of the town site. This ordinary was near an elm tree and afterwards used as a black smith shop. Travelers would go by the ordinary and follow a path on through the gap till it became the general road of travel. John HACKET, a deputy under Stokely DONALDSON, established the grade of the streets KING had the streets graded and the guttering put in. Joseph WORK Dudley and Orison HARRIS did the work. The grade and guttering on Race street was across the forty acres laid out by KING for the town beginning two hundred feet above 3rd street (near D'ARMOND'S house) and ended two hundred feet below first street, near the forks of the old ferry roads. The work on second street (Kentucky) was done by the same parties up to the public square, but Gideon MORGAN, John McEWEN and Mathew NELSON had the work done across the front of her lots on this street by other workmen, and now after a hundred years the difference in workmanship is easily apparent. Cloth for clothing was manufactured by hand. Every house had its supply of wheels and looms. Weaving was done in day time and the carding and spinning at night. After supper in the long winter evenings the family gathered around the Blazing log fire, upon which burned good rich pine knots. There was measured to each one of the children a pint of seed cotton hard pressed in, this to be picked before going to bed. The good mother carded and spun while the husband and father made or mended shoes. When Hugh BEATY erected a cotton gin there was a general rejoicing, at least by the women and children. It is true the gin was a small one, only thirty-eight saws, but it was large enough for the thin population. This gin built in the year 1802 was the first enterprise located in the town of Kingston. In connection with the gin BEATTY had a store. His specialty was dealing in cotton and homemade cloth. There were three other stores being those of John EBLEN, John McEWEN and William and James McNUTT. Goods were hauled, generally in ox wagon's, from Baltimore and Philadelphia. John EBLEN and the McNUTT'S sold their business to Willie, afterwards, Gov. BLOUNT who created a sensation by his large supply of coffee and sugar offered on the market. He had three sacks of green coffee and two barrels of brown sugar. After EBLEN sold he and his brother Samuel went into the real estate business in pursuance of which John made fourteen trips on horseback to Loudon county, Virginia. On his second trip Edward WALLER returned with him to whom he sold 2780 acres of land on Emory and Clinch rivers and lots 12, 13, 14, and 16 in the town of Kingston.