ca01.jpg (28219 bytes)

Cardiff, Tennessee

A VIEW OF THE CARDIFF DEPOT WITH ITS LONG PORCH.

 

 

ca03.jpg (25821 bytes)

 

 

CARDIFF BAPTIST CHURCH HISTORY

 

 

 

THE GREAT CARDIFF LAND SALE

IN THE TOWN OF CARDIFF - PART 1

IN THE TOWN OF CARDIFF - PART 2

 

front.jpg (15130 bytes)

THIS BOOKLET WAS HANDED OUT AT THE LAND SALE IN FEBRUARY OF 1890. IT IS AN ABSTRACT OF THE TITLE SHOWING HOW THE CARDIFF COAL AND IRON COMPANY OBTAINED THE HEMBREE LANDS ON WHICH THE MAIN PART OF THE TOWN STOOD. THIS BOOKLET IS OWNED BY
JAMEY McLOUGHLIN

THERE ARE 8 PAGES THAT MAY BE VIEWED BY CLICKING  EACH BOOKLET PAGE. CLICK "BACK" ON YOUR WEB BROWSER TO VIEW PREVIOUS PAGES.

 

 

In the Beginning.....

After the civil war most of the south lay in ruin. This was a good opportunity for northern industrialists to come in and put the south back to work. With the building of factories came immigrants to feel the jobs and so was born the industrial revolution. In 1868 the first blast furnace was built at Rockwood. This was known as The Roane Iron Company with Ohio Industrialist William O. Rockwood serving as it=s first president. Roane Iron produced an iron ingot called pig iron that could be melted down to make iron products. The two major ingredients for this was iron ore and coke produced from coal.

Roane County was rich in both minerals, some of which were untapped. In the 1880s gossip was circulating amongst northern industrialists of these large mineral deposits at the foot of Walden= Ridge. Boston industrialist Henry C. Young listened to the gossip and sent geologist to Roane County to investigate. They pounced on a small farming community just north of Rockwood, at the foot of Walden=s Ridge called Blue Springs. Their findings reported to Mr. Young is where our story begins.

The geologists reported finding a large iron vein, maybe the largest ever found. Henry Young quickly assembled a group of wealthy northern investors and the Cardiff Coal and Iron Company was born. Named after the large mining operation in Cardiff, Wales, Young too had plans for making Cardiff into an industrial giant. He sent agents in to buy up the lands with the major portion being the Joel Dallas Hembree farm. Meantime layouts for a town were being made with lots, houses, hotels, homes, schools, businesses, and the worlds largest blast furnace. This of course led many Rockwood folks to fold up and move to Cardiff. The CARDIFF BOOM was on.

April 1, 1890 marked the day of the great land sell. Harriman had it=s land sale in February and Rockwood was incorporated that same year. 35 Pullman cars arrived the first day of the sale bringing with it many investors from the north. 237 lots were sold on the opening day alone totaling about $400,000.Prosperity was short lived. The company had allowed investor to by land through exchanging company stock. With a stock market crash in the early 1890s, the Cardiff Coal & Iron Company was forced into bankruptcy by 1893. The mining rights and property were then purchased by the Roane Iron Company and the Brown Mining Company who started a mining town just up the valley from Cardiff.

At the turn of the century the town of Cardiff had three churches. The Methodist Episcopal Church - South, the Christian church, and the Baptist church. Besides the small family graveyards, the Methodist had the only church graveyard in the community. Cardiff Baptist Church is the only church to survive. The old clap board building saw two major wars, and many families come and go, before it too was taken by fire in 1977.