HARRIMAN ITS NO-SALOON BASIS
From: "Two Years of Harriman, Tennessee, Established by the East Tennessee Land Company February 26, 1890" Designed Illustrated and Printed by The South Publishing Co., 22 College Pl. N.Y.
With his colleagues General FISK agreed that East Tennessee offered favorable conditions for town building, of the sort in which they believed; that from all the wide acreage they had acquired within it the liquor traffic should be banned forever, by provision of title deed; and that the city they should establish must become an object lesson for thrift, sobriety, superior intelligence, and exalted moral character. In the Company's by-laws, adopted by them, Section 1 of Article IX declared:
Every contract, deed or other conveyance or lease of real estate by the Company, shall contain a provision forbidding the use of the property, or any buildings thereon, for the purpose of making, storing or selling intoxicating beverages as such.
Besides its enormous purchases of coal and agricultural lands upon the Cumberland Plateau, and of iron properties down the Tennessee river, the East Tennessee Land Company had secured over 10,000 acres of bottom and ridge lands at and east of Emory Gap; and a portion of the town site afforded by these, staked out on Christmas day, 1889, was surveyed and mapped in February, 1890. Some street improvements were begun a few rough board buildings were put up, and on the 26th day of that month, in that year. Harriman was formally inaugurated by a public auction sale of lots, which continued a portion of two days thereafter.